CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 07/04
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 07/04 Reply with quote

After six days without fishing, I headed over to Spring Pond to throw some bait. The wind was blowing pretty briskly out of the north/northwest and it was a lot sunnier than I like, but I was desperate to get out on the water. I had bought some funky crawdad-looking soft baits from Dick's while I was in northern Virginia during the week and wanted to try them out. Unfortunately, I failed to rig one before I got on the water and ended up having to use a swimming jig head that was just too small for the bait.

I threw the crawdad around the south cove and got a really nice hit from a largemouth bass on the eastern shore. After the bass started pulling my kayak, I gave the line a good jerk to make sure that the hook was set. The bass pulled me to the right, then forward, then to the left and then, just when I got it up to the kayak, it spit the bait. I think I didn't get a good hookset. I guess that a full "Mike Ike" hookset was needed and I didn't get it done. The bass looked to be about a 16 incher, but, man, was it a strong swimmer. It towed my kayak like a sled dog for a couple of seconds.

After I lost the first fish, I met a couple of fellow CTFishTalkers, who were in a trolling motor-powered canoe. Hey, Mark and Terri! They were heading in after fighting the wind all morning. Mark had caught only one largemouth bass on the northern end of the eastern shore.

After Mark and Terri left, I continued fishing up the eastern shore and then crossed over to the south end of the first island and worked my way clockwise around it. I've never had much luck around either of the two islands in Spring Pond, but I landed a 14 inch, 1 lb 2 oz largemouth bass on the northern end of the west side:

I usually don't take photos of small fish, but Happy 4th of July to Me!

I worked my way up the western shore, around the eastern shore of the second island, across the north shore and down the northern end of the eastern shore with no action at all. I kept switching back and forth between the crawdad and a wacky watermelon/laminated pearl Dinger.

When I passed the basalt boulder and pebble beach on the eastern shore, the wind finally died almost completely. It was only then that I landed an 18 inch, 2 lb 4 oz largemouth bass on a wacky-rigged pumpkin/red flake Senko. Unfortunately, it jumped the scale before I could get a photo, but it was a pretty ugly looking fish with discolored scales scattered over its body. It did, however, have that nice protruding lower jaw that bigger bass always seem to have.

I was pretty soaked from getting splashed by the 18 incher, but put another Senko on my hook and tossed it back toward the shore. My hands were wet and I thought that my fishing rod might slip out of them. And, wouldn't you know it, I hooked another largemouth bass. Unfortunately, this one spit the hook about three feet from my kayak, but I'm pretty sure it was another 18-incher. For a second, I thought I might have hooked the same fish!

I didn't get any more action after missing that last two pounder. But it sure was nice getting out on the water again!

Happy 4th of July, everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: