CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Fishfinder Recommendations Needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Fishfinder Recommendations Needed Reply with quote

Although she never came out and actually said so, I could tell by all the BS excuses she had against it that my wife really didn't want me to buy a bass boat. So on Wednesday, I bought a Hobie Pro Angler. Whoo hoo! Thanks to all the Hobie guys who post fishing reports and SkeeterJim for egging me on. Plus, thanks to whoever it was who said something like "It's better to beg forgiveness than permission" or "She wouldn't divorce you over it" or something along those lines!

Actually, in preparation for the Hobie, I bought a utility trailer with a 4' x 8 ' bed on Monday, and assembled it on Monday and Tuesday. My car is way to small to even consider carrying a boat as big as the Hobie on the roof. Yesterday, I registered the trailer and decked it with 3/4" plywood. I still can't tow it, because the trailer wiring harness for my car hasn't shown up, so I haven't picked up the boat yet.

So now I'm almost set to pick up my boat, but I need recommendations or advice for a fishfinder. I want to be able to locate those deep fish that hoppy and steven1smith always seem to find. I've never used one, so I have no idea what I really need. Humminbird or Lowrance. Black and white or color. Hull-mounted or through-hull transducer. GPS or no GPS.

I'm leaning toward a $450 Humminbird 385ci Combo Kayak Kit, but think it might be expensive overkill for a newbie. What do you think?

Last edited by PECo on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new Hobie. From everything I've seen and heard they are great. Unfortunately I can't help with any thoughts on the fishfinder though.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
As I have already posted to you get a fishfinder that you feel most comfortable spending that much on, mount it and then start using it to get a feel for what the features are. Lowrance and Hummingbird are both reputable companies and their units are pretty much the same. Just make sure you get a screen with a higher pixel count which equates to better graphics and IMO a color monitor is just soooo nice enhancing the graphics even more making interpreting the screen info better. Just make sure your not spending extra on features you really can't take advantage of from a kayak. Also, I would never do a hull mount but rather thru hull is best because then you don't risk knocking off your transducer when your kayak hits an underwater object. Mount it inside of your Hobie and you won't have to worry about it again.

Jim
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I am a Lowrance man myself. Wink Very Happy
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, Can't wait to go out when you get your rig ready. Being that I don't have room for a FF. Hopefully you will share the wealth of information you are about to receive.

Tim
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Whoo hoo! Reply with quote

I picked up my Hobie Pro Angler today. I got tired of waiting for the trailer wiring harness for my car to show up, so I bought a new hitch ball mount for my father-in-law's Yukon and ran over to Collinsville Canoe & Kayak. Here she is:

I ended up going with the Humminbird 385ci Combo Kayak Kit. I wanted a color LCD and GPS, so I just said what the heck and got it. I also picked up a Helmet Hero Wide waterproof, wearable video camera. We'll see how well that works.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I have one of those waterproof Hero cameras and I hate it, It is a total nightmare. Thing turns off after 30 seconds of video, I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine because they are not cheap/.
Phish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Phil!
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Phish.

Hey, Derek, did you use the recommended lithium batteries and pop an SD card in it? There's only 16 MB of built-in memory, but they take up to 2 GB SD cards. I know they take fairly low-res video, but they're hands-free and 170 degrees is a very good field of view for something you use to take close up video. Plus, with metalfish off the board, someone has to post some videos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Hobie, Phil. Can't wait to see the videos.
DV

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lithium battery's and a 2g. I could have just got a faulty one but after 4 sets of $8 batterys I just gave up and returned it.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Phil, looking forward to the helmet cam videos.

Jim
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks sweet Phil. Wheres the space on the trailer for my Kayak?

Tim
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Whoo hoo! Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I picked up my Hobie Pro Angler today. I got tired of waiting for the trailer wiring harness for my car to show up, so I bought a new hitch ball mount for my father-in-law's Yukon and ran over to Collinsville Canoe & Kayak. Here she is:

I ended up going with the Humminbird 385ci Combo Kayak Kit. I wanted a color LCD and GPS, so I just said what the heck and got it. I also picked up a Helmet Hero Wide waterproof, wearable video camera. We'll see how well that works.

Congratulations Phil! I want to see how the Hobie handles Batterson. You were not kidding about the overnight weed growth.

I tried to capture some video at Black Pond a few nights ago, but my night vision is apparently much better than what my camera's viewfinder shows at 3 a.m. However, if you want audio of frogs and random splashing I've got some great footage.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: