CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Crappie Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nk1190

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Crappie Fishing Reply with quote

Has anybody been targeting any summer crappie? If anyone has had any luck, I would love to here about it (where, time of day, lure selection). Looking to do more crappie fishing myself. Thanks, Nick.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Nope. Reply with quote

Not I. All of the black crappie/calico bass/papermouth bass that I've seen in CT have been small. My in-laws keep a camper on a small, 24-acre lake in the Poconos in western PA, and all of the black crappie there are over 10 inches.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

There are big Slab Crappies here in Ct. -> Just need to know where they are! Very Happy

SeaDog1
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a spot in Quaker Hill, CT out by waterford. I used to work at a residential facility before working for the state a few years ago. Theres a private lake, we used to call 3rd lake, we'd use 1/4 oz head with a 2 inches yellow or black grub tail. There are ALOT of crappies in there, we'd throw them all back but we would catch 25-30 in an hour all from 8-13 inches, The lake is RIGHT By the highway, I'm sure someone could drop you right off and run up in the woods, theres a bridge that actually goes RIGHT over 395 that we walk over because no traffic is allowed over it, i'll try to find the name of it for you
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pretty good day last year when I ran into some crappie while bass fishing in a cove in northern Enfield on the CTR. I was using shinners and caught about 10 in a couple of hours. They were good size, too (around 10").

In the CTDEP book "Fisheries Guide to Lakes and Ponds" (which, by the way, was the best $25 I have ever spent) they identify the Enfield stretch of the CTR as the best place in the state for crappie fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Pachaug pond in Voluntown has them. A couple guys in a small tin boat were pulling them in left and right while we were fishing a bass tournament there last year. They were in the biggest deeper cove on the right side after leaving the launch. I think it is the 3rd cove on the right heading into the main lake from the launch. They were targeting close to the wood in the water in that cove, in the right hand arm on the left side where all the wood is in the water.

I also have heard that Coventry lake has good #'s of them as well. But good luck not catching tons of rock bass!

Hope this helps....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper- Thanks for the info, I just ordered my copy of the book, seems like a useful tool.

CThonker...- i looked it up on google maps, looks like maybe millers pond. There are a couple smaller ponds further down on 395 so it may be those also. Regardless if you could find the name that would be appreciated. Thanks.
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats it, miller pond, theres a nice gravel beach on one side to fish that we do good at, of ir u wnana walk a ways, theres a dam and its about 8-12 feet deep and just jigging right there nails them, good luck
Aj1986

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really fished for crappie but a couple weeks ago night fishing on Congamond's middle pond, i caught a 14-15 inch 2lb crappie using shiners. Didnt have anything to measure it but had the scale with us. Was targeting bass and was fishing about 100 yards off of the south boat launch.
strider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: CT Crappie Reply with quote

I just caught a 15 inch crappie in the Upper Moodus Reservoir on live bait. I catch crappie almost every night, most about 10".
bass- master

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jigs work well. however last summer they where eating up twin twister tails i got a nice 12 incher
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of asianfisher (aka Billy) with a 14 inch black crappie that he caught in Spring Pond on 05/02:

We caught over 100 crappie that day and kept 27, most of which were in the 12 inch range.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a big one in Pickerel lake last year, though that lake gets really really weedy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: