CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Jury Duty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Jury Duty Reply with quote

Anyone ever gone to one? How long does it last? How much is parking? Do I have time to go to Cabelas or will I be there all day?
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT,

Been there -> Did my civic duty!

Be prepared to spend all day there -> All expenses are refunded or paid for up front.

Bring a good book as you may have a long wait till the trial your set for is called.

You won't be making any Cabela runs.

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: It depends. . . . Reply with quote

You might not even have to go. You have to call the court the night before to see whether you do.

I finally did NOT get excused from service the third time I got a notice. Eat a decent breakfast before you go or bring something with you, unless you want to buy something from the food truck that parks in front of the courthouse. Bring something to do with you. You can't really put headphones on, because you have to be able to hear announcements over the PA system.

You'll park your car in a gated lot next to the courthouse. After you sign in, you'll wait. And wait. And wait. I knew I wouldn't be asked to be voir dired (i.e., considered and questioned by the court and the lawyers for a trial) because I'm a retired lawyer.

After an hour and forty-five minute lunch break, and a little more waiting, I was released at around 2:30 PM. The best part of my day was lunch. I walked across Bushnell Park to Vito's on the Park, and had a couple dozen oysters on the half shell and a couple of pints.

I think they sent me $20 for my service, because I didn't have an employer to pay me for my time. And now I can excuse myself from service for three years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been called 3 times but only had to actually go to the court once. My day was very similar to what PECo described minus the oysters and beer. I spent the morning in the main juror area and read some magazines I brought with me. Then after lunch break they sat us in front of the judge on the case we were possibly going to serve on and he explained the process and what the voir dire is. Then I sat in a cramped conference room with 8 or 10 other people and we stared at each other for a few hours. They never voir dired us and then we were sent home at about 3 to 3:30pm. Be prepared to sit for several hours if you actually do have to go.
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for all the info I don't have to go till Tuesday the 27th. I'm hoping they don't need me.
DV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the letter 3 times and never had to go, just make sure to call in advance to see if you hear your name on the list.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been excused the last several times my name came up but the last time I actually had to serve was when the court system had the old way where jurors served for 30 DAYS!!! Not 1 day but 30. Man talk about torture. I read the newspaper every day and every possible magazine subscription in existence only because I did not want to watch the damn soap opera they had on the jury room TV everyday. Now here I am getting to the last day and I am like in fricking heaven because I know I am done and finally getting out. So now everyday we've been getting out at 4:00 and 3:45 rolls around and what happens they call my name!! WTF!!! The lawers interview me and I get picked to be on the jury for a civil case (car accident). Another 3 WEEKS in hell when the case finally comes to a close. Man I don't know who was more madder me or my supervisor at work. These 1 day jury duties are nothing compared to what I went through!
Jim
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jury Duty Reply with quote

Bluegill Terminator wrote:
Anyone ever gone to one? How long does it last? How much is parking? Do I have time to go to Cabelas or will I be there all day?

You'll have time to go to Cabela's I'm sure..unless they start closing at 6 on Tuesdays. I've been selected & and excused all 5 times. The phone call you have to make the night before is interesting. It's very likely that you won't have to go, so have a back-up plan in place.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone made the call tonight and they don't need me Laughing. Now I need to figure out where to go fishing tomorrow since I have the day off. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: