CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Connecticut River - Route 140 to Dexter Coffin - 07/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Connecticut River - Route 140 to Dexter Coffin - 07/24 Reply with quote

Because seven hours of fishing in a day just isn't enough, I went fishing with Derek (aka DV) in the Connecticut River in Windsor Locks from 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM. I decided to take The Other Woman out for the easiest possible maiden voyage cruise. Yeah, right. We fished for smallies off the pilings of the Route 140 Bridge and the Dexter Coffin Bridge:

I've never fished in a heavy current and I had never taken my new Hobie Pro Angler out on the water, but I said, what the heck, and went with Derek. The river didn't disappoint. Although I didn't land any fish, I did get a couple of smallies up to the boat. The first was probably 16 inches and the second was probably 14 inches. I debated whether to Kevin Van Dam Slam them into the boat, but decided to be kinder and gentler, and both fish took the opportunity to jump the hook on my jig while I held them gently over the water next to the boat.

Derek landed a few smallies, but was disappointed in their size. He was expecting three-pounders, but we didn't see any of those. Here are a couple of lousy cell phone photos I took of Derek while we floated downstream from the Route 140 Bridge to the Dexter Coffin Bridge:

I spent most of my time learning how to use my new boat, from how to put it together to how to control it. I think I got better at it over the course of three hours, despite the relatively harsh conditions. I was surprised at how hard it was to get used to steering her and just how massive she is. Not having any reverse thrust forces you to anticipate your course and speed more than I'm used to doing. I failed to properly lock down the Mirage Drive for most of the time we were on the water and to properly adjust the stride length. The swift current made "fins up" or "fins down" on the drive a very important consideration, because when they were down, they presented a large area of resistance to the current. When they were up, the rudder was much more effective. I also found that the steering toggle is loose and needs to be tightened. She's extremely stable. I could stand up on her, even in the worst parts of the current.

I love The Other Woman, but can't wait to get her in a gentler body of water like Burr Pond or West Hill Pond. The Connecticut River is probably not the best place for a shakedown cruise on a new, unfamiliar boat, but it was fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Phil...you did some serious fishing yesterday Very Happy

Where's the picture of you cracking a champagne bottle over the bow of "the other woman"?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: No, I wouldn't waste the champagne I have in the house. . . Reply with quote

No champagne, but Derek and I did head over to the Maine Fish Market Restaurant for a couple of cold beers afterwards. The first pint of Bass Ale I had was the best tasting beer I've enjoyed in a long time. I'm sure that we were the grungiest customers they've ever had, but we just stayed in the bar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTG Phil,congrats on the maiden!!
Fishface

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, glad she worked out for you Phil, If you guys happen to go out again i would still like to attempt to put my Kayak with you.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: