CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Mansfield Hollow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratos17

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Mansfield Hollow Reply with quote

Trying the night bite on Mansfield soon. Any tips, spots, weeds, water clarity
Thanks,

Marty
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish the island directly in front of the boat launch, caught the biggest smallie of my life at night there and the night bite is usually good, poppers and jitterbugs work well
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black spinerbaits with a black colorado blade, big black zara spook, big black buzzbait.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my tip..."take me with you"...haha. On the lauch side of the lake either of the river inlets seem to hold fish this time of year. Also depending on water level if you turn left coming off the boat lauch and go into the little cove thats right there its kinda shallow but its all stumps I would run a big black spinnerbait and bonce it off of everything I could.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Gonna hit it tonight. I'll let ya know how we did. Most likely I'll throw black spinnerbait. May try a spook also
Stratos17

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got on the water at around 6:30. One other boat on the water. Water temps 78-80, Water stained. Made our way to the island. We were throwing senkos,tubes,flukes and spinnerbaits. Picked up a nice chunk around 2 lbs on a senko on the shallow side of the island. Headed to a shallow cove to duck the weather. My buddie picked up two dinks on a tube and a slimedart on a senko. We then hit the shoreline across from launch, to shallow and weedy. Headed towards the south side....maybe near a dam or roadway.
Serious weed beds. Not knowing the lake we headed back along the west side shore. Got a nice 2.5 lb lm on a black spinnerbait. You gotta love that, totally crushed my bait. That fish thought he was 5 lbs. He was pissed. He just wanted to go down. Maybe my hookset had some effect. Slung him in the boat. Decided to call it at around 10:30

Nice place. Nice launch. I'd like to hit it in the spring or fall. 8 mph speed limit so no jet skiis, tubers. Great for the kayakers. I'm sure PECO will now follow and also give us a great report.

Not a bad cruise..about 35 minutes from Hartford
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Yup! Reply with quote

I gotta get me one of those northern pike that live in there. Since nobody's catching them, they must be monsters by now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo Mansfeild has the next state record pike swimming in it. I am friends with a few of the part time DEP helpers and they tell me that Mansfeild has the highest big pike population in the state, and then next in line is Lilly.
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree w/ that!!!! I have caught probably 15 pike this year (all in summer) from Hopeville Pond and not one of them was below 30". I cannot bring myself to fish anywhere else, as I have spent time on all the well known pike haunts (including Mansfield) without much luck. Hopeville is a big fish factory and there are plenty of them!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hey, Flipper! Reply with quote

Have you been catching them on artificial lures or just bluegill on a bobber?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thrown everything at these guys with a few fish scattered here and there, but it is extremely tough fishing. Throw a 2-3oz lure and reel in quickly (in most cases) with a stout rod all day with no bites and you will feel it. I have spent 6-8hr clips on the water doing this with nothing and it gets very tiring and frustrating. I think they need to be actively feeding and aggressive to catch them on lures consistently (like in early spring or late fall). I am catching non active pike that cannot resist aneasy meal. They just can't pass it up! That is my opinion anyway, and you know what they say about opinions. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I gotta hit mansfield this weekend.

I'll be camping around the corner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: