CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Hopeville Pond 07/30
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Hopeville Pond 07/30 Reply with quote

I finally fished some water to the east of Hartford. I drove down to Hopeville Pond State Park with The Other Woman and met up with Flipper (aka Damian). He promised to show me how to catch northern pike. I'll let him tell you about that, but I will say that he showed me how to fish for northern pike. Shocked

I got on the water at 5:45 AM. I think I was the first one on the pond. I tried my best to not wake the tent campers near the boat launch ramp. It was cool and there was mist on the water. It really felt like an early Spring morning:

I started throwing a Texas-rigged Zoom finesse worm with a bobber stopper and 1/8 oz tungsten bullet weight at cover on the shoreline. The first fish I landed was a 16 inch chain pickerel that I snag-hooked when I felt it hit the lure and tried to set the hook. I got about an inch of fish flesh on the hook about five inches behind its nose. Ouch! But I think it survived OK. I switched to my usual wacky-rigged 5 inch pumpkin/red flake Senkos and caught my first largemouth bass on the pond. It was 15 inches, 1 lb 14 oz:

I ended up catching the one chain pickerel, 7 largemouth bass and one calico bass. Here are all of the largemouth bass that I caught:

15 inches, 1 lb 14 oz
13 inches
16 inches, 2 lbs
14 inches
12 inches
16 inches, 1 lb 10 oz Skinny fish!
11 inches

I caught all of the largemouth bass on wacky-rigged 5 inch pumpkin/red flake Senkos or wacky-rigged 5 inch watermelon/red flake Dingers. The calico bass hit a little white spinner bait:

I met up with Flipper right after I landed the first 16 inch largemouth bass, probably around 6:30 AM. He was anchored in a cove with a couple of live bluegill already on hooks and swimming around underneath a couple of bobbers. Here he is in northern pike fishing position:

Like I said, I'll let him fill in the northern pike fishing details, but we later fished for largemouth bass all the way to the dam on the northern end of the pond. Today, at least, the largemouth bass preferred wacky worms to spinner baits. Guess which of us was fishing which bait. . . Cool

Thanks, again, Damian, for a good time. I hope the rest of your time on the water this weekend is a little more, um, productive. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Harsh report...lol
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pike at Bantam yesterday either. I think they took the day off.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
maverick2402

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they charge a fee to launch a canoe in Hopeville?
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Boat launch fees? Reply with quote

maverick2402

I'm not sure. I wasn't charged, but I got there so early, around 5:20 AM, that there weren't any park personnel on duty. Plus, it was Friday. I didn't see anything about fees on the DEP's webpage for the boat launch:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=383996&depNAV_GID=1620

However, the webpage for the park says that there is a weekend/holiday admission fee for the park itself:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325218&depNav_GID=1650

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Bantam Lake Reply with quote

Kira

Where'd you launch? You should post a Lake Report. I'd love to hear about it.

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bantam Lake Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Kira

Where'd you launch? You should post a Lake Report. I'd love to hear about it.

Phil

It was a nice day and I had a good time but there's nothing worth reporting. My partner Les & I caught 5 fish between us. The water level was low & there were no accessible pads. We launched at the launch (on very rare occasions I'm treated to outings on a real boat.) All of my fish pics get uploaded to Facebook as I catch them but I doubt anyone here wants to hear about the 1-3 lbers I catch 5 days a week.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hassles at the formerly public Bantam Lake boat launch? Have they changed the "Residents Only" signage?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
No hassles at the formerly public Bantam Lake boat launch? Have they changed the "Residents Only" signage?

Sign's still there. Everyone knows it's just for show, but I don't think anyone from Bantam wants to be the one to remove it.

Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some very usefull info Kira. That's good enough for me to try my luck w/ Johnny Law Bantam style! I absolutely love fishing that lake and have not been for a long time. That makes 2 on the list - Winchester & Bantam that I've got to hit soon. I'm gonna give Hopeville a break for a while. I think the fish have caught on to my method, as I've been fishing it heavy along w/ some locals. We're all using the same set up in a small cove and the fishing seems to be getting slower and slower. Sad

Yeah, thanks for the encouragement Phil. Sorry I couldn't show you a fish that day but I did manage 1 the next morning. Full report to come when I get the pics straight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Hey, Damian, I'm glad that you got some action after Friday. Regarding Bantam Lake, TurtleKiss (aka Kira) told me that the lake level is extremely low right now.

Kira and I hit Burr Pond with my daughter, today (well, yesterday, 08/02), and spent some time speaking with one of the DEP guys who was on duty at the park. He told us that Colebrook River Lake (aka Colebrook Reservoir) holds some nice northern pike. It's a U. S. Army Corps of Engineers lake:

http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/crl/crlhome.htm

Let me know if you ever want to check it out. Winchester Lake, too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco,

You always post the best reports.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Thanks, Ron. Reply with quote

Now get back to work! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper...I'd give Bantam a week or 2 to recover before you venture out there. You can see the old water line on the docks and boulders, and it's between 1-2.5 ft low depending where you look. My first time there, so I'm no expert on what's considered normal, but we couldn't get anywhere near the shore or weedline without hitting rocks. Bantam was "chemically treated for invasive weeds" on July 27th...not sure if that's somehow related...but it looks like they did that and a drawdown.

Will someone please organize a night bass party at Winchester? It would be nice if a group of us could wreck our props together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: