CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester 8/7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Winchester 8/7 Reply with quote

Took a ride up to Winchester Lake this morning. Started at 5:30am and got off around 11:00am. It was a bright sunny day once the morning clouds burned off when the sun came up. Water temp was about 73. I paddled straight down to the North end of the lake. The water was like glass and there was only one boat there before me. I threw the trophy scum frog and the yum horny toads at the pads and didn't get even a hit. I moved to the West shore and began working my way South. I picked up an 11" LMB on a 5" Senko purple w/ emerald flake. It was in the northwest cove under some cover. Continued South along the West shore and the wind began to pick up a bit. I picked up another 11" LMB on a 5" Dinger green pumpkin/pearl laminated. Unfortunately those were the only 2 I picked up today. I spoke with 3 other guys who were fishing and they all either caught nothing or a few small LMB so I didn't feel too bad.

This lake has so many places for the bass to hide I just couldn't find em today. At least it was a beautiful day for a paddle and I didn't get the skunk either. I did throw a 4" tube with no bites, I tried a few new crankbaits that I picked up and only caught a stump (of which there seems to be thousands of them} Now that I'm home I wish I would have thrown a few jigs but I probably would have gotten hung up on the stumps with those too. Here's a few pics with unfortunately, no fish in them but I did catch a few ducks just as they were taking flight. As you can see from the pics this place has bass written all over it. Supposedly according to another guy in a kayak there are also some big pike in there.

steven1smith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two 11"ers is better than nothing. That's pretty good seeing as it was kinda hot today with not much wind. Sad I went to Morey today and I only hooked up with three fish, two of which I landed, the other got off(it was a big one Mad ). My dad got skunked, as well as everyone else on the lake that was throwing soft plastic worms. I was using a black/blue jig and tossing it right into the slop that everyone else was scared to go near. So...

When the bite stops with the senkos, try throwing that jig. Get it where everyone else cant, and you may be rewarded Very Happy .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely need to get more confidence with the jig...and another rod and reel Wink
DV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to winchester earlier in the week, thought I would do pretty well with the overcast and some wind. Hooked up with 3, landed zero. Couple boats caught some drinks in the shallows, I pretty much flipped the trees with a jig till a fish wrapped me around and broke it off. I think its just an overall hard lake to fish.
toptech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5:30am and flat calm water....no top water baits?

That last pic with the tree and the pads is amazing...I want to fish there just cause of that pic.

Stick with jigs. Two years ago I fished a couple tourneys with a guy that threw a lot of jigs and he used to smoke me. So I realized I had to get on the jig train and try to figure them out. I have worked on it a lot for the past two years and I am just starting to figure them out. The biggest thing for me has been that I finally found a jig/trailer combo that I have some confidence in. Im not afraid to through it half the day and not get hit because Im learning that at some point i the day Im gonna get bit and mos likely its gonna be a quality fish. I was on the CT river saturday in a tourney and I threw a jig for a good part of the day and with an hour left I hooked a fish that got me lunker and anchored me to pull second in the tourney.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Derek, Pics are really sweet I agree with TOP looks like it would hold nice Fish.

Tim
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winchester is always a beautiful lake , and it looks like a bass heaven, but its tough fishin. Sounds like you had fun anyway, and thats what its all about right?
On twenty-pound test "
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Skeeter Jim and I went last month the bite was tough too.

We caught a few, nothing to take pictures of.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toptech wrote:
5:30am and flat calm water....no top water baits?

That last pic with the tree and the pads is amazing...I want to fish there just cause of that pic.

Stick with jigs. Two years ago I fished a couple tourneys with a guy that threw a lot of jigs and he used to smoke me. So I realized I had to get on the jig train and try to figure them out. I have worked on it a lot for the past two years and I am just starting to figure them out. The biggest thing for me has been that I finally found a jig/trailer combo that I have some confidence in. Im not afraid to through it half the day and not get hit because Im learning that at some point i the day Im gonna get bit and mos likely its gonna be a quality fish. I was on the CT river saturday in a tourney and I threw a jig for a good part of the day and with an hour left I hooked a fish that got me lunker and anchored me to pull second in the tourney.

I actually started throwing topwater frogs at the pads first thing. I couldn't get anything to bite. Usually even if you don't hook a fish you will get some miss-strikes but I didn't even see that. I agree the tree and pads pic looks sweet...that is all over the place up there. I was expecting to pull a bomb out of that cover but saw nothing. I ended up taking a pic because it just looked nice. The pic above that one I just liked the look of that crazy driftwood so I took a pic.

Thanks for the tips on the jigs and yes I have made up my mind that I will (almost) always have a jig tied on from here on out just for the practice.

Thanks for the other comments guys. Yes I did have a great morning despite the fishing. That place would be great to paddle even if I didn't have a pole with me. The only thing I can think of with the lack of fish is at most lakes or rivers when you see cover like this there is a good chance of getting a fish. This place has so much cover that there are not always bass in these spots. Too many places to hide. Then again maybe I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about Very Happy
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem.....
On twenty-pound test "
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Fishface

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, if it was that easy we would never have to go back and back and back!

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: