CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River - Simsbury 8/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Farmington River - Simsbury 8/14 Reply with quote

I hit the Farmington River today with Tim (Fishface). We launched at Curtiss park and headed up river. We started fishing around 5:30am and I ended up leaving at 11:30am. Tim was still fishing when I left. The sky was clear (foggy at 5:30am) and the water temp was about 68deg. I caught my first LMB under some cover not far from the launch. It was a 13" (1lb 2oz) LMB caught on a wacky rigged 5" green pumpkin/ pearl laminate dinger. We moved a bit up river and came across a nice laydown that we worked for quite a while because it was a big one. Tim caught several fish one of which was this 3lb 7oz fatty...

I'll let him tell you the length and what he was using because I'm not 100% sure. The next fish I caught was in the same place Tim had just broke one off and I ended up catching the same fish with Tim's hook still in its upper lip...lol...it was a 12" LMB on a 5" wacky purple w/ emerald flake senko. My biggest fish of the day was caught in about 4ft of water at the edge of a stand of grass. This one was a 15" (1lb 8oz) LMB caught on a wacky 5" pumpkin senko. Tim should have a pic up of that one later...not a monster but it was a nice fish. Then about 2 minutes later I caught a 10" LMB on the same rig and in the same grass as the other one.

I had no luck with the jigs I tried out today or the pop-r I tied on for about 10min.

Tim ended up catching several more fish than I did but I'll let him fill you in on the rest of his catch later.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Nice! Reply with quote

I'm jealous. I have to get out on the water soon!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your ass back here and do some fishing Very Happy
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're heading to Toronto within the hour. I might sneak out to look for some walleye while we're there. I'm going through some serious boating/fishing withdrawal right now! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report, I only stayed about 20 more minutes. Here is a picture of Dereks fish. Derek that was a lure on that stump it was a Rapala Bass pattern prop bait. I will post my report later, have to do some work.

Tim

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a baby compared to your fish Tim. Nice job grabbing that lure too. I thought it looked like it might be a lure.

I just remembered an interesting thing about my first fish on Saturday. I had thrown my worm into some cover looking for bass and I got hung up on a log. I paddled over to retrieve my lure and when I pulled the worm off the log the bass sprung out from under the log and grabbed it. It was cool to see that close.
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have a few minutes I will give a better report. Just adding my catch caught 5LMB with the largest being the one pictured. It was a hair over 18" with the weight being 3lb-7oz as Dawg stated, also caught 6 SMB with the largest being 13", all fish were caught on wacky 5" senkos they would not take any other presentation. I started w/my fav Black w/Blue flake, no action. After getting snaged and only having a few of that color left, I switched over to Green Pumpkin w/Green and Purple flake, glad I did every fish was caught on that color. I also was throwing a 3/8oz Black spinnerbait before the sun came and was coming up with no results. I was using a minnow Rapala with no sucess. As Derek and I were making our way back I pitched my worm into some cover, and on the retreive a 8-10" trout followed it in while I was reeling up. All in all a good trip, it's alway nice to fish with Derek. We did miss Phil's perspective on the trip. This picture shows what we were pulling the fish out of. With my 8lb mono.

Tim

SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys. Sounds like Phil "Peco" is going through fishing withdrawals on his road trip! Very Happy I gotta hook up with Dirtydawg and Peco soon!

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're up for some fishing this weekend let me know. The Farmington is a fun place to fish but some of the areas Tim and I fished on this trip were very shallow. I'm not sure how the Hobie is with those pedals in less than a foot of water. But there are plenty of places there we can fish that are deep enough or we could try another spot if you're up for that. It may be just me and Tim again this weekend I'm not sure. Send me a PM and we'll figure it out.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, let me see how my work week goes and I'll see if I can hook up with you guys this weekend. As for the Hobie fins, don't forget I can still use the paddles when it gets a little too shallow.

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me.
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in does not make a difference to me. As long as it early.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: