CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Quabbin reservoir
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Quabbin reservoir Reply with quote

My brother decided to rent a boat on Wednesday out of gate 8 on Quabbin reservoir is Massachusetts. Split 2 ways it came out to $25 plus $5 if you need a temporary license. The plan was to target lakers in about 100-130ft of water in the morning hours and then switch to smallies. The setup was basically drifting a carolina rig with a 6" shiner, no hits at all till about 8am when we switched to smallies. He continued on with the same rigs while I switched to tossing jigs and tubes, we targeted them in about 20-40ft of water off a some steep drop offs and a few points. Action was fairly slow, he managed a few fish around 1lb or less while I remained skunked till about midday. I had one hook up with a large fish, most likely in the 5-6lb range. I was using a jig and felt some heaviness on the hook till I felt a strong pull and a pretty hefty head shake, needless to say I never had time to set the hook. I picked up a few small fish on the jig including a rockbass.

We headed back and hit up the island near the launch this time getting a bit more shallower trying to locate some feeding fish. I finally managed a decent fish, 1 oz shy of 3lbs and a very very light green smallmouth. Turned in around 2pm, those aluminum boats get blazing hot and I managed a walk away with a pretty intense sunburn with a nice set of coon eyes. Water temp was about 77* on the surface and clear to about 20ft. Having problems with the new phone so I can't upload pictures of the $25 fish.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

I can't wait to see your coon eyes! Laughing

Outlining the affected areas with sunscreen on a stick helps to even them out. However, I have to admit that I felt like an ass when applying it using the rear-view mirror on my car like a secretary on her way to work!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a knit ski mask and no sunglasses next time you fish. Should even out.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
Wear a knit ski mask and no sunglasses next time you fish. Should even out.

I think that would be a bad idea. Someone may think he is a Somalian pirate and call the Coast Guard! Wink Very Happy

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: