CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River - In search of Trout 8/22/10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Farmington River - In search of Trout 8/22/10 Reply with quote

On Sunday 8/22/10, my buddy Jay picked me up at 4:30am and we headed to the Farmington River in search of the coveted 6lb brown trout.

Once again we decided to try some newer spots to see if they would be productive. We decided to try the Whittemore Pool (I mean pool W)

We arrived at Pool W at 5:30am (still dark with the cloud cover) and got our gear on. We were the only ones there. It was misty and overcast yet the air was warm. The water was a bit chilly but bearable. We fished the large pool for 2 hours without a bite. We tried numerous presentations from trout worms to mealies, Phoebes and Super Dupers (one of my favorites).

We decided to try our luck at another pool. Don't know the name of it so we will call it "Pool ?". We entered the river and the water was moving at a good pace. Since it was our first time fishing it, we didn't know where then pools were. We had seen guys fishing in the area in the past, but did not know where the honey holes were. So we decided to put in some work and figure out where the fish were located. I went south and Jay north of where we entered. I caught a small brookie in some fast ripples on a worm. After about 1 hour I decided the area I was at was too shallow and the fish were held up in other areas. I worked my way towards Jay and he motioned he had caught two. He was fishing a pool that had fast water and was about 6 feet deep. He was fishing worms and casting into the ripple area.

I started to do the same and on my second cast I caught a rainbow that went 11 inches. After that I had nibbles but nothing to show for it for about 20 minutes. I ended up getting snagged and the 4lb test line broke off near the hook. I decided to go with smaller cheaper hook (Eagle Claw Laser I believe). I caught another fish right away. A small brownie about 10 inches. Then I got snagged again. This time the hook broke at the bend. So I tied another Eagle Claw on and about 10 casts later... you guessed it.. Snagged again. So I tried to work out the snag and it broke again at the bend in the hook. I couldn't believe how cheap these hooks are. My 4lb test and knots held out better than the hook. So I went with a slighter bigger, better, more expesnsive circle hook (Gamakatsu).

Well since this story is long winded I will end it by saying we did quite well after figuring out how to work "pool ?". Another two fishermen ended up fishing with us at the pool. One of the guys started nailing them hand over foot at a part of the pool that I had just fished over Mad . I ended up watching his technique and applied it and that is when I started catching more Very Happy .

Over all it was a great morning. I caught 9 fish all about 12 inches or so. Jay caught about 7 fish with his biggest at 15 inches. It started to rain about 8am and at times down poured hard. It continued to rain until we left at 10:30am. It was nice to have the proper gear to keep me warm and dry.

Another successful outing in search of trout.

Last edited by RobO on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job figuring out the pattern Rob.

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Nice. . . Reply with quote

If I liked trout as much as walleye, I'd be out there too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a trout guy but always enjoy reading your post, keep it up.

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: