CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Farmington River - Simsbury 08/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Farmington River - Simsbury 08/27 Reply with quote

After reading DirtyDawg10's and Fishface's reports about the stretch of the Farmington River adjacent to Curtiss Park, I decided to check it out. I launched in my little kayak from the small sandy area and headed downstream (i.e., north toward Tariffville) because I wanted to fish the intersection near the overhead power lines. It was clear and sunny. The water was clear, but was harder to see through when the sun wasn't shining. There was no wind for the first couple of hours. The water was like glass.

I stuck to the W shore on my way downstream (i.e., N) and worked the E shore on my way back upstream (i.e., S). I ended up fishing from 8:45 AM to 1:45 PM, and catching 1 rock bass, 1 smallmouth bass and 8 largemouth bass:

Downstream
10 inch LMB
11 inch SMB
14 inch, 1 lb 3 oz LMB
11 inch LMB
15 inch, 1 lb 7 oz LMB

Upstream
11 inch LMB
10 inch LMB
10 inch LMB
decent sized RB
19 inch, 2 lb 10 oz LMB

Yes, I saved the best fish for last. When I returned to the small sandy area, I decided to fish the humongous laydown directly across from it on the opposite shore. There are tons of huge logs in there. Since I was fishing with wacky-rigged Senkos, I was afraid of getting hung up. But for some reason, the song Octopus' Garden began running through my head when I saw this shady "cave" on the shore:

You know how the song goes:

I'd like to be
under the sea
in an octopus' garden
in the shade

I just had to throw my Senko in there and felt like a hero when I nailed the cast. I felt the tug of the bite as soon as the Senko sank into the water. As I began to pull it free, I realized that I had a decent fish on the line. Since Phish wasn't there to free the fish for me if it wrapped itself around a branch, I struggled desperately to get the fish up on top of the water and away from the many branches and logs that surrounded it. Surprisingly, it was my second 2 lb 10 oz largemouth bass in 2 days:

Anyway, it's a beautiful stretch of the Farmington River, although the day was a little bit too sunny for my taste. Before I got off the water, a school of about a dozen bass-shaped fish swam underneath my kayak, heading upstream. I have no idea what they were, but they were each about 12 inches long. Little carp, maybe? A kayaker who went further downstream than I and a canoer (canoeist?) who went further upstream than I each told me that they had spotted a bald eagle near the river. I guess I'll have to explore a little further from the park the next time.

Last edited by PECo on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Phil! I stopped in there tonight because I had an extra hour after work and ended up catching one 11" LMB. I caught it on a 5" wacky Cabela's Glo Stick (their version of a senko) watermellon w/ red/green flake. Got on the water at 5:00pm and off at 5:45pm. I was just glad to avoid the skunk and get some fresh air. I was planning to throw the crankbait again but it got lodged in the front tip of the outer shell of the kayak and it wouldn't come out. So I switched to the worms.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

I know THAT feeling! One of the nice things about a hard shell kayak is that you can't hook it. Well, except for the nylon rope carrying handles. Damn, I think I just jinxed myself. I better bring a banana with me tomorrow. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...keep your banana in your own boat Razz
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fallfish? I'm somewhat disappointed.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil I think that section of the river is a great place to fish there is so many different elements. Deep holes, plenty of timber, undercut banks. A good report as always. Derek nice 45 minutes.

Tim
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That school of fish was probaly the red horse sucker. They tend to school up like that and look like brook trout from above. I've been fooled many times in the Pequabeck river. Rolling Eyes
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Phil
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pete. I found some photos of redhorse suckers on the internet. I'll keep an eye out for them when I'm back out on the river (i.e., tomorrow at 5:30 AM).

I wish you were there to pull the fish out of the trees for me, Jed. You should have seen me twisting around in my kayak with the fishing rod as high up in the air as I could get it. I steered the fish away from some pretty thick stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Phil, congrats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: