CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Hmmmm where to go this Sunday
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gecabert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Hmmmm where to go this Sunday Reply with quote

I'm 100% sure our start time of 10:00 isn't the best, but the bass fishing has been pretty slow for me lately.

Last weekend was my first trip to "lake" Zoar. Seems sort of funny to call it a lake, when it's more like a river with no current. But in either event all we got were a few perch and 34" pike, which surprised us, since I've never seen pike mentioned there. We trailered the boat around 3:00 and headed to the CT river for a couple of hours. Dumped in at the Bissell bridge and headed up river and into the Farmington River. Seemed to be a bunch of pike near the merger of the two rivers, and I got a couple of smallies a little further up the Farmington. Had a "fun" experience with the tide and had to get out of the boat and push it over a sand bar on the way back.....

So this Sunday we're looking for a lake with little to no high speed boat traffic or jet skii's. We've been to Morey & Long this year. Anyone ever been to Pine Acres?

Any other suggestions?
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could fish powers lake for quietness, but fish quality is not great. Or Pattagansett is down that way too. Small launch with not to many boats, with better fish quality too.

Remember to always check the permitted tournament schedule under fishing tournaments, this will keep you off heavily pressured waters that have tournaments on them on a particular day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slime, I do usually check the tourney list every week before deciding where to fish. I take into account the size of the lake, and the number of boats in the tourney.

Pattagansett sounds good, except that they allow water skiing until Labor day, which means the zooomers will be all of the place. Just a couple more weeks and a lot of the boat traffic on the smaller lakes will be restricted.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmmm where to go this Sunday Reply with quote

So this Sunday we're looking for a lake with little to no high speed boat traffic or jet skii's. We've been to Morey & Long this year. Anyone ever been to Pine Acres?

Any other suggestions?[/quote]

Hi g!

Try Billings Pond. (it's in the book)
I haven't been there in some time, but it is a relatively quiet pond and pretty!

SeaDog1
gecabert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Billings looks interesting SeaDog, but there aren't any speed restrictions on the lake. But, it also doesn't look like it has a lot of houses on the lake, so the boat traffic may be minimal.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gecabert wrote:
Hmmm Billings looks interesting SeaDog, but there aren't any speed restrictions on the lake. But, it also doesn't look like it has a lot of houses on the lake, so the boat traffic may be minimal.

Hi g!

Billings has a real small parking area near the ramp.
I have never seen it full or more than 5-6 boats at any one time when there.

Oh! FYI -> The locals like to try and keep Billings somewhat of a secret so they keep taking down the brown boat launch sign out on the main road -> And the DEP has to put up a new one once or twice a year. Laughing

SeaDog1
gecabert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tourney there this weekend either. Smile
gecabert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog I took your advice and headed to Billings. You were correct, almost no boat traffic on the lake, even on a 90 degree day.

The fishing was decent, but not great. But the lake seems to have tons of potential, so it's on our list to hit again as the weather cools down in the fall.

-George
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi g!

Glad you went to Billings -> Very pretty lake.

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: