CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: New from MN to Southington
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSRiverdog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: New from MN to Southington Reply with quote

Just moved here from MN, lived on the Mississippi River above Minneapolis, will be doing periodic trips back but this is my new home. Smallmouth have been king in my world for the last 7 years. Running a 1650 AWCC Alumacraft with a 50/35 jet, left the prop lower unit at the old house, will be bringing it out in the next month or so. In a toss up should I leave the pump or go back to a prop.
Looking forward to meeting folks and fishing here.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

MSRiverdog

I don't have a powered boat (i.e., I have a little plastic kayak and a Hobie Pro Angler), so I can't help you regarding your question about jet vs. prop. But welcome to the site. I'm glad that you're here because, although I've never fished in MN, I've always thought of it as a part of fishing heaven. I've even thrown MN out there as a possible summertime retirement destination for me and my wife (OK, for me, really), and I'm a Chicagoan at heart, so living in Vikings country would be a little weird for me. Confused I look forward to your posts and perspective on CT fishing.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site
MSRiverdog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Was driving around this morning a bit, any boat launch's nearby on the CT River? I gotta get on the water a bit even just to look around, haven't decided yet if I should get a license for this year or not, got a lot to do setting up my temporary shop.

Glad my SO was kind/smart enough to get me a GPS for my van, she saw how misplaced I got the first time I was here last year.

Need some help going to MN to fish, I just may be able to find a guy or 2 that would be happy to get you out on the Upper Miss for some Smallies, may even be a stray Muskie around, they are an accidental surprise quite often depending on the stretch of river.
CTBASSIN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. There are launches in Hartford and Haddum for the CT river. Hartford is off I-91 and Haddum is of RT 9. The jet will serve you well for smallies north of hartford. The rest of the state a normal outboard is fine.

Fitzwater Lures- Best custom jigs on the market
http://www.fitzwaterlures.com/

American Bass Anglers Draw Tournament Trail
CT Division 6
www.abadivision6.com
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest boat launch ramp on the Connecticut River to Southington is probably the Cromwell Outboard Association ramp, but it's members only. At least one of the guys on this site is a member there. Jim?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what CTBassin said, you could throw stump infested Winchester Lake on the list of jet drive access, but you can get around in there with an outboard too if you idle very slowly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. Riverdog, if you're going after smallies in the river then I say go with the jet. You'll get into plenty of smallies and won't have to worry about taking out your lower unit getting there.

Jim
AustinB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i moved to ct from lakeville mn 2 years ago. welcome to the site and ct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: