CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Winchester Lake 09/23 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been driving me nuts and I think I have just found the answer on the Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife website...

"The pattern of markings is typically very different on adult and juvenile pike. Juvenile pike possess wavy, white to yellow vertical bars. Adults have shorter markings arranged in a more horizontal configuration."

This was definitely a juvie at only 11".

Here's a pic that I messed with which shows the pattern a little better.
MSRiverdog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi MS!

Are you sure???
Coloration, fins, and markings sure match the profile/picture of a Muskie I brought up on the internet.

Guess a fishery biologist would be able to make a positive ID.

SeaDog1

Absolutely positive, pic from a long gone former life. Caught a few small ones over the years and the body shape of this guy has been pretty typical as are the colors, tigers are real prominent with their striping. This is a Mississippi strain from Big Mantrap lake in N MN, in what is called the bared phase. As the age gets up a lot or most of the bars will disappear. A Tiger is very distinct and really pretty, never have caught one though.

Last edited by MSRiverdog on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD!

So the juvenile Pike have vertical markings and that adult Pike have horizontal markings!!!!!????

Excuse me but that doesn't make any sense -> How do vertical markings change to horizontal makings?????????

Most animals that have distinct markings, have them oriented on their body from birth to death or markings when very young that dissapear as they get older.

Hmmmmm!!?? More research I think is needed!

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't believe their website you could always contact the Maine Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and ask them...Here's their number...(207) 287-8000

Here's another report from a fishery biologist. Check out page 2 http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/management_plans/northernpike.pdf

I'll see if I can come up with anything else.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Ah-Ha!!!!!
Found the answer!

Juvenile Pike do have vertical white/yellow markings, but as they get older the markings get filled in with darker markings thus adult Pike look like their white/yellow markings are horizontal.

This was fun!!
SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct sir Very Happy

Here's another publication I found in case you're interested. See the second page under Northern Pike "description"

http://www.rom.on.ca/media/books/pdf/spreads/freshwater_fishes.pdf

apparently juvies also have a small dark spot under their eye like the one I caught has and it eventually disappears as it gets older.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishface wrote:
Congrats Phil, Great job all three of you superb anglers, I wish I could have been out with you three. I have always wanted to fish without ice. If I did not have to days of required training at work I would have gotten the Design FLU and had to go home. Next time. Kira have you been to Batterson since your last post. Phil and I are thinking about a nite Walleye trip.

Tim
I'm in for a Batterson night trip since my last outing there was surprisingly calm & pleasant. I've been all over the place - Silver, Congamond, Winchester & Bantam were my last 4. Trying for pike now too, although I'm pretty awful at it.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
MSRiverdog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi All!

Ah-Ha!!!!!
Found the answer!

Juvenile Pike do have vertical white/yellow markings, but as they get older the markings get filled in with darker markings thus adult Pike look like their white/yellow markings are horizontal.

This was fun!!
SeaDog1

Think dark on light, Muskie.

Light on dark, Northern.

Interesting how many of the other family members are here in the east and not to be seen in the mid west.
Cots6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip nice fish all around. jealousss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: