CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Burr Pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Burr Pond Reply with quote

Hi All!

Well the wife and I had a tag sale today 9-2 and tomorrow Sunday 9-12.
After 2 I decided to relax so I went to Burr -> 8 minutes from the house.
Beautiful afternoon, number of kayakers out, and one Coleman square stern with electric motor + fishermen.
Was having fun catching yellow perch when I heard the guys in the Coleman (about 6 boat lenghts away) whooping it up!
Front fisherman was hooked into something BIG!
After about 5 minutes he lipped a 6 lb. LMB. (he weighted it).
Not sure what lenghth it was, but it had one huge belly on it Exclamation
Guess that was the Burr Pond MONSTER!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Released!

As for me -> caught 2 big fat golden shiners (7-8 inches) which I'm going to freeze for Pike bait.
As usual MacDonough made friends with everyone he met! Razz

Nice way to end the day!

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might have been the 5 pound 12 ounce fish that Bluegill Terminator caught in there earlier this year. I wish that you had a photo so we could compare them. Yeah, I think about stuff like that. Rolling Eyes

What kind of lure/bait do you use to catch golden shiners? I haven't caught any in Connecticut, yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Well the 2 big goldies I caught at Burr were on a very small silver Swedish Pimple with #10 treble tipped with a little piece of worm.

My neighbors pond (50 ft. from my back door) which is "loaded" with goldies (all sizes) -> I have a 7ft ultra-lite always rigged on my back deck with a small weighted slip bobber, set at 2 1/2 - 3 ft. with very small split shot 6-8 inches above a #14 hook, baited with tiny bit of worm or spike.
I throw some Koi pellet food out on the water and within a minute or two the goldies are feeding like a school of piranah no more than 3-4 feet off the shore.
In short order I can catch 3-4 dozen in an hour.

Sure I've set traps out, baited with cat food, and can catch then by the bucket full, but not as much and relaxing fun as catching them on rod and reel.
Besides I get a kick out of having my cat (Phantom) and MacDonough sitting by me watching me catch Goldies and getting 1 or 2 to munch on! LOL Very Happy

Nice to have that small Goldie pond behind the house so I never have to buy or want for live bait! Razz Thumbs Up

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: