CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Hunting
Viewing Topic: Porkupines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebigcatch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Porkupines Reply with quote

Howdy,

I'm movin to CT this winter and wonder if anyone could give me a hand.

Has anyone seen porcupines? I'm not interested in hunting them, I just want to see one of the dang things. Any good spots to look would be appreciated as would any tips on finding them.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any porkUpines in the five years that I've lived in CT. Mammal-wise, I've seen possums, skunks, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, deer, chipmunks, squirrels, mice, moles, beavers, muskrats and maybe a bobcat. I've also seen eastern box turtles in the woods behind my house and here's one of two baby snapping turtles that I found in my garage a couple of years ago:

I think that they climbed up into the undercarriage of my car when I was at Nod Brook WMA. I parked on some tall grasses and the engine was warm, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I think its strange that you are asking about 2 species that are used in old world type medicines?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plop what in the sam hell is it with you and these old world medicines? Who makes medicines out of porkupines anyway? I wouldn't touch the things if ya paid me.

Let me guess you are one of these peta guys who thinks you can "save" nature by creating 10 acre nature parks with paved trails while banning hunting that supports 10,000+ acres conservation areas.?
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I haven't seen any porkUpines in the five years that I've lived in CT. Mammal-wise, I've seen possums, skunks, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, deer, chipmunks, squirrels, mice, moles, beavers, muskrats and maybe a bobcat. I've also seen eastern box turtles in the woods behind my house and here's one of two baby snapping turtles that I found in my garage a couple of years ago:

I think that they climbed up into the undercarriage of my car when I was at Nod Brook WMA. I parked on some tall grasses and the engine was warm, I guess.

Opossums are marsupials too. Wink You haven't seen any bears yet?
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I haven't seen a bear, yet. If the Chicago Bears weren't doing so well (so far, at least), I would have told you that I had a goalpost in my yard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv never seen a porcupine in ct, but i have seen them up in the Berkshires. When I was still in school we went on a weekend field trip up there. Still have a bunch of the quills that we found too.
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question. I am far from a treehugger. I hunt and fish constantly but am also a med student of sorts that had to take a course in old world medicines and the animals and plants used in these practices.
I was just pointing out that its funny that you were intereted in 2 of the animals that are on those lists that have stuck out 2 me.

I have never seen a P-pine in Connecticut woods but have seen them in pennsylvania.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: