CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Clipped Pectoral Fin on a 16 inch Brown trout
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Clipped Pectoral Fin on a 16 inch Brown trout Reply with quote

I was fishing the Farmington River this past Saturday and did pretty well in one of my favorite spots in the TMA area.

I caught 12 trout in 3 hours all browns. My buddy caught 4 trout, one of them being a 17 inch rainbow in a small creek area of the river right behind a big rock. The creek area was about 3 feet wide. He thought he might catch a brookie but ended up catching a big fish.

My first fish of the day was a very stout and solid 16 inch brown with a curled up lower jaw. It's left pectoral fin was clipped. The colors of the brown were dull and didn't really have any orange spots.

Most of the fish I caught had less orange color than what I am used to catching brownies in the FR. I am making an assumption that the area of river I was fishing must have recently been stocked and I was catching hatchery trout.

Does anyone know any information regarding the clipped fin?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The friday before laborday the dep stocked 2000 brownies in the west branch from the TMA up to the goodwin dam
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clipped Pectoral Fin on a 16 inch Brown trout Reply with quote

Clipped fin is stocked proly came from out of state hatchery. most fish form hatcheries upstate do that to their browns. They do that where i am. Thats how you know if its stocked or native up here.... Robo man do your thing i love that river. Ever came up to NY and fished for the fish i posted? They will stock atlantic salmon in the naugy river soon. catch and release till dec. But you gotta get it in early cause buy the time you can keep them people took them already which suxs.
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game to go up to Pulaski or fish the Naugy..

Just let me know when.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said in other post i try to go up every weekend. Its been flooded and water finally resided. water has been clouded and pretty much only way people been catchin them have been snagging them. so stayed clear from it. Man your best bet is to use brown trout eggs. and drift them if you go that late in the season. you might find some salmon still lingering spawning. but Coho's,Steelhead, and Browns will be EVERYWHERE.... thats what you really want anyway... Where i go is the closest for and biggest for the size. you come up here and like it might even tell ya about oak orchard.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: