CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Stoney Brook Suffield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aj1986

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Stoney Brook Suffield Reply with quote

Went out Tuesday with my bro to do some fly fishing. Went to Stoney Brook in Suffield, went there earlier this year a lot (April-June) and had a lot of success with trout, several 14-15 inch rainbows. After not having rain for awhile the brook was almost non existent for a while tho and i believe all the trout moved down to some of the deeper water in the "Ponds" closer to the CT River. I say "Ponds" because they're just slightly wider parts of the brook that got dammed up but are a lot deeper, and if you look at a map they're called ponds. The water now is back up and moving pretty good, we didn't catch any trout tho. We did catch about 30 dace and fall fish each, ranging in size from 3 inches to about 12 inches. Not the best day out but at least it was non stop action. All fish were caught on the same little bead head nymphs with an indicator tied on about 10-12 inches above the fly. We got there around 11:30-11:45am and fished until about 2:30pm, Weather was beautiful, sunny and in the 70's.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Hey! Reply with quote

Did you get any photos of the dace and fall fish? I've seen some confusion about the two on this forum and it would be nice to have back to back photos of them for comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, didnt get any pics, iv always thought that they were all dace, but then on here i saw reports of them being fall fish, what iv noticed is that fall fish have wart looking bumps on their faces, and some have orangeish tints to their fins (might just be in spawning). I dont know for sure tho, they all might be dace and they all might be fall fish. Next time we go out ill bring a camera and take pics, will prolly be going back before too long to get some for pike bait.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aj1986!

I'm a fly fisherman also!
What kills me is that fly fishermen will talk about using a strike indicator.

IT'S A BOBBER Exclamation Whether the so called "indicator" is made of -> foam, balsa, wool, feathers, balloon, plastic, or anything else that floats to show a strike -> IT'S A BOBBER Exclamation

What ever you use to show a fish has struck or taken your fly or bait -> it is still BOBBER FISHING! -> PERIOD Exclamation

Know what -> I LIKE IT Exclamation
Helps me catch fish -> And that's the bottom line! Very Happy Thumbs Up

Best regards,
SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Aj1986

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, yeah its deff the same thing, i just tie a piece of yarn on the line and wet it so the knot gets tight enough that it doesnt slide while casting then put some floaty gunk on it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: