CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: raw sewage spill in salmon river,colchester/east hampton
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: raw sewage spill in salmon river,colchester/east hampton Reply with quote

Colchester-WTNH) _ A warning for swimmers and fishers. A raw sewage spill in Colchester has environmental experts telling people to stay out of sections of two rivers.

It's one of the state's top recreation area's. The Salmon River in Colchester and East Hampton is a favorite, especially for fisherman.

"The fishing really good today," John Rinaldi said.

Rinaldi and Earl Reynolds fish there every day, but today this spot is off limits because of a sewage spill.

"I didn't know about the spill when I came up," Reynolds said, "but I was surprised fishing was so good with water so low. Doesn't seem to be affecting the fish at this point."

The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection says about 50,000 gallons of raw sewage poured into the water after a sewer main between East Hampton and Colchester failed early Sunday morning. They're now testing the water and deciding how best to clean it up.

DEP workers are posting signs to keep people from swimming or fishing in this part of the Salmon River or at the Jeremy River. That was surprising for John and Earl.

"As a matter of fact fishing has been better today than the last couple weeks," Earl said.

"We catch and release any how so...," John said.
"So you're not concerned?"
"Well, I'm concerned for the river, but as far as, were not gonna eat the fish so it doesn't matter."

Still, DEP officials asked them to leave. People like Rudy Morin aren't taking any chances. He's playing it safe at Day Pond.

"If that's the truth then you got to stay away a little bit," he said. "You don't want to get sick with sewage."

DEP officials believe most of the sewage has washed away, but to be sure they're testing the water today for e coli. Those test results won't be in until Wednesday, so for the next 24-hours they don't want people to fish or swim here until they get those results and they know for sure there is no contamination.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUCK!

Just one more cast...
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY Sh!T!!! (literally) Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: