CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Hurricane Santee 116 Sport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Hurricane Santee 116 Sport Reply with quote

I saw an iridescent orange Hurricane Santee 116 Sport kayak at the EMS store in Avon, CT, the other day. Beside the fact that it's a sweet looking boat, I think that it looks like it would be great for fishing. Does anyone have or has anyone used one of these?

Last edited by PECo on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after ogling this boat at EMS for the past week and a half, I had to buy it when EMS started its weekend sale today. Everything in the store is at least 20 percent off from 11-05 to 11-07. And if you spend $100, they'll give you a coupon for $25 off of a purchase of $75 or more from 11-08 to 11-16. I got the kayak for $719.20. Whoo hoo!

If you see a hot iridescent mango and white kayak out on the water, give me a wave! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Mods Reply with quote

I couldn't bring myself to start drilling holes El Habañero's deck, so I decided to build a fishing console for her. I just finished it, well, pending future modification, at least. I was inspired by some of the Wilderness Systems kayaks at EMS, which include a "Kayak Konsole" from Harmony:

http://www.harmonygear.com/product/0/KAYAK_CONSOLE/_/Kayak_Konsole_with_Dry_Hatch

I tried to fit a Kayak Konsole on El Habañero, but her front coaming is the wrong size and shape to accept it, so I built my own:

I used an $11 polyethylene cutting board from Walmart, two $12 Scotty flush mounts (I borrowed the rod holders from The Other Woman), a $20 Pelican 1020 Micro Case dry box and some old cabinet knobs. I heated the polyethylene in the oven at 250 degrees so that it would hold a curve on its front edge to better match the curve of the coaming. I left room in front of the dry box for a finder mount and room behind the dry box for a Scotty deck mount on which I could mount a camera. The knobs slip over the coaming and cinch the console down as you pull it back. I still need to install some bungee cord that I'll loop around the back of the coaming to keep the console from sliding forward and slipping off, although it stays on pretty snugly without it. And I'll probably trim the sides of the console to match the curve of the coaming, but I'm going to test it out first. After all, it's a beautiful day for a test run.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil. How about forming me a new seat for my Kayak. I been thinking of a few names since the last time you, Daryl and I went out . I will let Alana make the final choice.

Tim
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim!

Since your kayak is green -> how about "Green Flash!"

Has a nice ring to it Exclamation Very Happy

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil! You can also remove the camera mount and fillet your walleye right on the boat...sushi style.

Tim...how about the "Green Hornet" Razz
Old Mud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good Phil Very Happy Like the name too " El Habañero's"

Tim, how bout the "Green Bean" Laughing Laughing"

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Or The Jolly Green Giant! Surprised

Ho, ho, ho, Green Giant!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Just got back from Colebrook River -> Only 3 small Browns -> Released.

Well!--------- Guess I got something started!
Good going guys!
You all have come up with good names for Tim's boat.

Hmmmmm? Since Tim's boat is more Lima bean color -> I'm voting for "Green Bean!" Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Best regards,
SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a sandwich shop in Wethersfield called the "Spicy Green Been" I think it's in Glastonbury now.
Old Mud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
There used to be a sandwich shop in Wethersfield called the "Spicy Green Been" I think it's in Glastonbury now.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Did you guys have an Earthquake or Sumptin. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Old Mud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Yack guys, i would like to take a Giant from a yak. i know there was a guy on the cape that took a 200 ?? (Guess) pounder this summer on the SEC (South east corner) of Stellwagen. The down side to this is you have to make the whole trip without power or help. i saw him heading out about 05:30 and saw him on his way back in before Dark o thirty.

You may have to make many of these trips to catch a giant. They could be around 15 to 20 NM.and at my age i wouldn't want to die and not complete my mission. Once i complete it it's ok to croak but NOT before. !!! Shocked Wink Wink

SO i guess my question would be this, Would a SIT like the widest Hobie be enough boat ( if properly Motified with thru hull rod holder) to take 1000 lbs. or more of strain ?? Provided i keep that fish off the pointy end and not abeam ???

PECo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official capacity of the Hobie Pro Angler is 600 pounds. Hobie considers the Pro Angler to be a "boat" that's not a "kayak". It's hard for me to imagine a kayak that would be more stable than a Pro Angler. Once you're accustomed to pedaling it, you could go for miles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don!

Take the big boat out with a Yak on board.
Then go fishing for the BIG ONE!

Hang on though Exclamation -> Will be our version of a "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" Exclamation Shocked Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Harpooned a couple out on George's (from the 65" big boat) when I was 19 then had to get in the 14' sea skiff to fight them.
Ya-Hoooooo! Dragged me all over the place before I could get a strap around their tail. Whew Exclamation

Ah! Fond Memories Exclamation Very Happy

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this guy's website...

http://www.helipress.com/kayakfishingmovie/index.html

It looks like he uses the Sea Kayak Trident 13 & 15 to land marlin. First watch the video on the entry page (take a look at the last fish in the video) then click "enter the site" then "gear guide" and finally click the "ocean kayak" link on the left.

EDIT:
Here's another good link...

http://www.paddlinglife.com/article.php?id=345
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: