CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Motor Help Please (I want to fish) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHADDY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Motor Help Please (I want to fish) Reply with quote

I have a Johnson VRO 60HP motor it starts fine and idles but once I idle up or put into gear and give it some gas it just dies. Then it is a pain to start and keep it running, it will some times run all out for about 3 min before it dies. But if it is started and put in gear and kept at a low RPM (1400 RPM) it will run all day.
Any sugestions? I changed the fuel filter, still no change.
Quint's Revenge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had the same problem with his Johnson 150horse (Late 80's built) a couple of years ago. We took apart the carbs bought rebuild kits and rebuilt them and never had another problem. I am not saying that is what is wrong with yours but it may be a starting point for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: My motor is a late 80's Reply with quote

I have 3 carbs, I might try to tackle the rebuild and I have the service manual.
Quint's Revenge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were relatively easy to do just time consuming good luck.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to check any fuel filters and the fuel lines. You may be getting some air in there under throttle.
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had that problem a few years back ended up being a vent problem in the tank
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moisture in the fuel line?????or tank???
Just4fun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely sounds like a fuel problem. But before you rebuild anything make sure your fuel hoses are okay (no leaks or kinks) and check out the fuel filter.
After that,..I agree that it's time to look at the carbs! Good luck with it!
snakebite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has has a water fuel seperator I would try changing it, draining the fuel line, puting a fresh tank on it and draining the carbs before doing a rebuild on them. It might save you some time like Quint's Revenge said it is very time consuming Very Happy

snakebite
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Engine idle Reply with quote

I usually have the same problem but i let it idle for a while then put it in gear at a low rpm and the go a little more the do that till i got the speed i want you want to go little by little and not force it
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Before you go thru all that work -> Try running some "Sea Foam" thru your combustion system.
Stuff is amazing and I use it on all my combustion engines -> vehicles, tractor, trimmer, chain saw, outboard, etc.
Really cleans up and rids engines of all gunk and varnish!
Oh! FYI -> Change your sparkplugs after use.

SeaDog1
hila2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we're having the same basic problem with our 70hp VRO. Starts great, runs smooth at lower speeds, but at top end it surges and starts to stall. We replaced all the fuel lines earlier in the summer, most were shot. Cleaned the carbs with cleaner etc. There is no choke, it's electronic, on ours anyways. We've checked the electric primer and it works fine. We're thinking it may be a pinched fuel line, the new lines we installed have a slightly bigger o.d. than the originals, and might be pinched a bit. I picked up a repair guide off the internet, it could also be the fuel pump as well. I don't know what year yours is, but ours is a 1986. There's a way to test the pump in the manual, that's the direction I'm heading in next. I've also spoken to a mechanic who told me it could be a build up of rotten fuel line form using ethanol gas which deteriates the lines and can cause a build up in the float bowls. We have the 3 carbs, and it's a simple screw to clean out the bottom of the bowls. Hope this helps, and I'll keep an eye out here for helpful hints myself.
cmhyland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Use Seafoam in the fuel Reply with quote

hila2006 wrote:
Wow, we're having the same basic problem with our 70hp VRO. Starts great, runs smooth at lower speeds, but at top end it surges and starts to stall. We replaced all the fuel lines earlier in the summer, most were shot. Cleaned the carbs with cleaner etc. There is no choke, it's electronic, on ours anyways. We've checked the electric primer and it works fine. We're thinking it may be a pinched fuel line, the new lines we installed have a slightly bigger o.d. than the originals, and might be pinched a bit. I picked up a repair guide off the internet, it could also be the fuel pump as well. I don't know what year yours is, but ours is a 1986. There's a way to test the pump in the manual, that's the direction I'm heading in next. I've also spoken to a mechanic who told me it could be a build up of rotten fuel line form using ethanol gas which deteriates the lines and can cause a build up in the float bowls. We have the 3 carbs, and it's a simple screw to clean out the bottom of the bowls. Hope this helps, and I'll keep an eye out here for helpful hints myself.

Dump a whole bottle of Seafoam in the tank and let it run for a half hour or so.... Then let it sit for several hours and restart the motor.... Sounds like highend jets may be clogged.... Seafoam will clean them out..
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the second time someone said to use Sea Foam. Never heard of it, but where is a good place to get it? I'd like to try this before I wrap her up for winter. I have to run it to drain the lines before winter, so might as well do this to.

Thanks much.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Walmart or any Auto store will have it.
You can also see videos of it being used on youtube.

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: