CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Conservation & DEP
Viewing Topic: Black Spot Disease
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Black Spot Disease Reply with quote

When a fish has Black Spot Disease, it looks like it has been sprinkled with black pepper. Here's a description of the disease that I found on the web:
Quote:
Black spot disease is commonly observed in rock bass and other sunfish, bass, pike, perch, minnows, and other fish species. It can be identified by the presence of small black spots, usually about the size of a pin head, in the skin, the fins, the musculature, and the mouth of the fish. The black spots are caused by pigment that the fish deposits around the larval stage of a parasitic digenetic trematode, usually a Neascus spp.

The lifecycle of the "black spot" parasite is complex. The adult parasite is found in a fish eating bird, the kingfisher. The larval parasite is transferred from the infected fish to the bird during the feeding process. In the kingfisher, the larval stage develops into an adult parasite. The adult parasite in the intestine of the bird produces eggs that are eventually deposited in the water. There the eggs mature, hatch, and develop into the miracidium stage of the parasite. The miracidium infects a snail. In the snail, the miracidium develops into the cercaria life stage. The cercaria leaves the snail and actively penetrates a host fish. In the fish, the parasite becomes encysted. In about 22 days, black spots form around the cyst. This entire lifecycle takes at least 112 days to complete.

In general, the presence of the "black spot" parasite does not affect the growth or the longevity of the infected fish; however massive infections in young fish may cause fish mortality. The parasite is incapable of infecting humans and, as is the case with all fish parasites, it is destroyed by thorough cooking. When fish are heavily infected, some anglers prefer to remove the skin to improve the appearance of the cooked fish.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish/worms.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 different black spots that occurs in fish (as far as I know of). small spots that are refereed to in you post and the black blotch in bass. The small spots are a parasite that is most evident in warm water in the summer, I've only seen it in yellow perch. The black blotch's are still unknown where they come from but they have no effect on the bass what so ever.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone can find authoritative information about "Black Blotch Disease", I'd love to read it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a write up in BASS MASTER or BASS TIMES I don't remember which one. But you can try looking it up on BASS.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Conservation & DEP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: