CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Bashan Lake?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximillion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Bashan Lake? Reply with quote

Im new to ice fishing and Im about to go purchase my first ser of gear for it sometime in early december. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum Ice fishes Bashan lake? I do in the summer and spring and I know its really deep and clear but I dont know where to locate the fish in winter or what bait to use any advice would help thank you
dave_376

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never fished bashan on ice but I would be careful, the launch area is running water....make sure it is good and frozen or you might end up wet and cold in waist deep water.

I would imagine the fishing would be fairly productive from the launch to the island. I would set up as many tip-ups as you can (5) + use one rod to jig.
mostly Ice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashan usually takes longer than the surrounding lakes and ponds to freeze up. I think it's depth, size and wind make it take longer to freeze compared to Moodus Res, Hayward, and Babcock. The middle takes a long time to freeze, don't be fooled into thinking its safe just because you see people in the coves.
dave_376

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moodus is drawn down for dam repair and they also drew Bashan way down, I don't think you could launch an inner tube as a result Laughing you would rub your hinny to the end of the inlet.

If you go to any of these lakes this winter and the water is at normal pool be very careful because it may be unsafe going from low to full.
mostly Ice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moodus should stay the same throughout the winter. They have a cofferdam around the spillway to repair - rework it. I don't see them building the dam back up until the ice is gone, so I wouldn't worry about the water level rising any more than than its usual rise and fall. The dam was taken down about 2.5 to 3 ft and all water is currently flowing over the dam, not through the spillway. As shallow as Moodus is, I am surprised there isn't bottom showing. most of the water must be 2 to 3 feet deep right now, but the channel probably still has 4 to 8 feet of water. It is icing up fast due to the shallow water this year, and I do plan fishing it a few times.
As far a Bashan goes, they draw it down every year. Previously I believe a lake resident opened the gate and did the draw down/ refill every year until people complained. Some said it was too far others said it wasn't enough. The resident didn't want the aggrevation anymore and gave the gate key back to the DEP to do. I've been told in the past few years the water level has been inconsistant, probably due to the complaints. Even if they dropped Bashan 5 extra feet, there is still plenty of water there.
Maximillion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed Moodus was really shallow and I was wondering why thanks for the information. I feel because of the lower water level it should be easier to locate the fish, I wen and checked it out and took some pictures for summer so I can locate the humps since I dont have a depthfinder :/
Ctclassic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximillion---I fish Bashan in the summer. It averages about 15' feet, but it does have a 50' hole out towards the middle. Be extra careful because Bashan has multiple springs that feed into it. I personnaly havent fished through the ice, but I intend to in the coming weeks. Good luck. Be safe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: