CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: new Rods Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: new Rods Reply with quote

A while ago I had a couple St. Croix rods that were stolen with all of my tackle from the back of my car, so last year I got some new St. Croix rods (mojo), they both broke, it was late in the season so I just finished up with some cheap Daiwa rods(that i loved btw)...Well now I am going to buy some new rods for the upcoming season and wanted to know what everybodys thoughts were on rods, not super expensive but good rods. I know the st croix mojos arent by any means top of the line but i expected $100 rods to not break so easy....So id like to stay under $150 per rod, any suggestions? I just picked up a 6"6' team all star spinning rod and havent been able to try it out yet but heard great things about it, it feels right anyway....I want to pick up prob 3 more rods both spin and casting....any thoughts?
skeeterjohn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimono cruchels are nice.Try the new abu garcias
billybass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. .Croix is one of my favs I have mojo,Avid and preimer Rods that I havnt broke yet,,But another good brand and durable is Fenwick I have a few of those also,,,Between 70 and 200 just like the St.Croixs.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Stars are awesome for the price. I have a all star spining rod that I use for texas rigging, I have had it for at least 15 years and I use it the most. The only issue I had with it was one of the ceramic eye inserts came out but it was an easy fix that cost less than 8$.

I have a Daiwa Tierra spinning reel and rod combo. It it the 7' medium action and the rod was 60$ and the reel was 120$. I love the setup but I have had 4 guides pull out on me. I only used the setup one season so I was disappointed. I am going to return and see how the new one holds up. If I get the same issues, I wont go back. I caught a ton of fish on it though so i hope it is just a fluke.

Justin
skeeterjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an allstar casting rod and the rod blank turns in the handle. spinning rod are good.
djmon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have all wright mcgill skeet rods paired with revo S casters and cardinal 500ALBi spinning and havent had a problem with them.... good for the money personal opinion;

but ive used shimano clarus and up in the line; all great rods as well- i'd say for the money go with the compre and crucials.

other than those my next thought would be the kistler mags.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a couple of the yellow Wright & McGill spinning rods and one of them snapped between the second and third guides down from the tip under the lightest of pressure as I was pulling some grass from my hook. I had gotten them despite a review on a website that mentioned a snapped rod and a comment by a worker at Cabela's that some had been returned to the store because they snapped. While I love the design of the rods, I have no confidence in the layup of the blanks.

I have a couple of St. Croix Mojo Bass spinning rods and, while I like them, the guide on the tip of one separated from the rod at the end of the season. I'll try to exchange the rod, but could probably just glue the tip back on if Cabela's won't take it back. I'm not sure when it happened, but I'm disappointed.

So far, two of the most durable rods that I have are one-piece and two-piece Shimano Clarus spinning rods. They have almost identical action to the St. Croix rods and I've beaten on them a little bit. One got dragged against the culvert in Keeney Cove when the current tried to drag me and my Hobie underneath it. They're dinged up, the hook holder broke off on the one-piece rod, but I haven't had any failures with them, at least not yet.

Oh, and I love Ugly Stik spinning rods. I've had, well, I still have a half dozen of them and none has ever broken. I'm not thrilled with the design of some of them. I prefer the screw down reel mounting collar to be in front of the reel, where my hand won't loosen it, and I've Dremeled the hook holders off of all of them. I also wish that the support wire for the guide on the tip of the rod were welded underneath instead of on top of the guide, like those on the Wright & McGill rods. I hate anything that can snag my braided line. However, they work, they don't break and I never worry about breaking them, because they're both durable and inexpensive.

I've found that changing the reel makes a bigger difference in a spinning reel combo than changing the rod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVP, you should know better, jump in your car, and go to a tackleshop or cabelas or a Bass Pro, I prefer tackle shops, they carry better stuff, Go with what feels good to you!!!! St Croix, Allstar, Diawa, G-Loomis,Falcon, Quantum, There all good, just as long as its a good name, go with what feels right for you, And Peco, Ugly Sticks, Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh Boy,,, DVP smaller tackle shops will give you a deal and usually have alot better quality equipment, If your really concerned, give me a call and we will hook up, and go look at rods, Maybe a trip to BassPro in Mass, with our thongs Very Happy you better get some rods now our tournys are starting shortly!!!! Ive been working so much lately, I could go for a ride to BASS PRO, Let me know
djmon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh geez; flippy is busting out the thongs already.... man your crazy this time of year- those rhinestones will freeze so well to un-named areas *incase turtlekiss is listening Wink *; every time you pop the seat up you'll cast your very own rainbow Shocked
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy - You're not a tackle snob, are you? Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco those St. Croixs have awsome return policys if its been more
than a year the store wont take it but St. Croix will always and replace you will just need to wait a few weeks,,every pole comes with that paper work you should have it....
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco, I have lost good fish because of CRAP tackle, When it comes to my boat and my fishing Tackle, I do not skimp, its not worth it, especially when you fish seriously, well not anymore, Its amazing how good equipment makes a difference, I have recently started buying G LOOMIS rods and I will tell you what,,,,, I CAN FEEL A FISH FART, never mind the guys that are getting bites and dont know it, Ya I would say I am a tackle snob, I have used different rods and It is a world of difference, How many guys that fish tournys use cheap fishing line, nobody, I recently ordered just fishing line for the year, over 100 dollars, FLOROCARBON, BRAID, and MONO, There are great, good and cheap rods, Can you tell when a fish picks it up and spits it out Question Question Question , could make for a great day or a no fish day, So yes, Peco I am a tackle and equipment snob,
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmon, where the hell have you been,
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not listening.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy I will call you after work....Seriously, i promise...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: