CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing
Viewing Topic: have you tried any of the "new rods out this year"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: have you tried any of the "new rods out this year" Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone else has picked up and cast one of the new rods with the ceramic nano technology from 3M. I have cast 3 the G-loomis, TFO BVK and the Hardy's, I was impressed with both the castability and the weight / length/ strength ratio of all. Of the 3 I liked the Hardy Zenith 9' 4wt. the most I could cast a nice loop with 10 feet of line or 40 ' of line off the tip. You can shoot a ton of line with it as well. Now I just have to wait for open water and pray for the $$ form a couple big fly orders to come in and I will let you all know how it fishes.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: have you tried any of the "new rods out this year&q Reply with quote

Likes the no ho like a coho....
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: have you tried any of the "new rods out this year&q Reply with quote

steve b wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has picked up and cast one of the new rods with the ceramic nano technology from 3M. I have cast 3 the G-loomis, TFO BVK and the Hardy's, I was impressed with both the castability and the weight / length/ strength ratio of all. Of the 3 I liked the Hardy Zenith 9' 4wt. the most I could cast a nice loop with 10 feet of line or 40 ' of line off the tip. You can shoot a ton of line with it as well. Now I just have to wait for open water and pray for the $$ form a couple big fly orders to come in and I will let you all know how it fishes.

Steve

Oh My Exclamation

Guess that old saying is TRUE Exclamation

"The difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys -> $$$$$$$" Exclamation

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: have you tried any of the "new rods out this year&a Reply with quote

Whoa whoa... Wait a minute... Just cause i dont have new dont mean my toys are cheap... Fly rods are all St. Croix Legends and Ultra Legends. And as for fly reels can go on how many fin nor i have from anti-reverse to direct. Not cheap.. snapped more loomis, sage, and fenwick rods than St croix.. only reason why i stuck with them... 40' is pretty good on a 4wt... Looking forward to fishing with some of the old guys....
steve b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asian fisher,
fish with ya any time. heck 40' with a 4 wt. I was casting one of the new Hardy Zenith rods. I pealed of 5 consecutive 80+ foot cast with a 9' 4wt. But the bets thing about them is they will cast at 10' just as well. That is the only real difference between these rods and other fast actions out there. The TFO is a a sweet rod too and it is only a bit over $200. Tell you what my favorite rod is still my 15 year old Orvis 8' 4wt. slow action but real accurate. I guess my wife is right I have become a gear head.

steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man im just getting into it Deeply.. have few Sages left and bunch of St Croix's... Thinking about going to the NJ fly fishing show coming up soon.. Biggest around... Imma take a look at all the new toys out there.. and decide will it be a rod or reel this year... Hard with young kids growing up...
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Echo 2 9-foot 5-weight freshwater fly rod a few years ago, but haven't really used it at all. I tried it out a couple of times at a couple of local trout ponds, but didn't really have enough room to give it a real go. There's always this year. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil i go all the time... Let go... anyways. what are you doing today?
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm busy today, Billy. It's my daughter's birthday. Now I have TWO teenagers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peco & Asian fisher,
any time this spring you want to go do some fly fishing let me know. As long as I don't have any guide trips or have to work at the shop I am willing to show you what ever you want. I don't get to do much winter fishing any more due to having to do tying classes and fishing semiars. You shoudl swing by the CFFA expo on Feb. 5th and say hi I will be working the booth for JTs fly shop.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the heads-up on the CFFA expo for Feb. 5, 2011

Will talk with PECo (Phil) and af (Bill) about going together!

That reminds me -> I have to send in 2 of my Temple Fork rods in for repair.
Have to re-rig my Orvis 7 wt. with my sinking tip line for spring Shad fishing Exclamation
Poor Man's Salmon -> Lots of FUN Exclamation Very Happy

Best regards,
SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks, Steve, but I'll be in Chicago that weekend. Hopefully, I'll get to watch the Bears in the Super Bowl with my family. Go Bears!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think imma have to go to silver and if there is still time head up there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: