CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing
Viewing Topic: Sage XP or Sage Z-Axis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zinomori

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Sage XP or Sage Z-Axis Reply with quote

I need your advice on a couple of rods that I have been thinking about. Well, I already have Sage 480-3 SP and Sage SP 690-3 rods. I know both are great for medium and short casts. Now I am thinking about getting a 5 weight. Currently I am looking at Sage XP and Sage Z-Axis, because I want something with a little faster action than the SP. Can anyone help me to choose the best one?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zinomori!

You know -> The best thing for you to do is to go to a fly shop and try-out different rods -> many shops have areas where you can try casting different rods loaded with reels and various lines.

Keep in mind that just because a rod is marked at a specific wt. you can go one wt. line up or down (+ type) to get the best action and feel that you like.

I learned that some years ago up at the ORVIS flagship store in Vermont!

Best regards,
SeaDog1
steve b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zinomori,
both the XP and z axis are great rods.While the XP is discontinued ( has been for a couple of years) there may be a few new ones out there. The z axis is a great rod and can do everything the xp could and is a bit lighter. They are reincarnating the xp as the VXP with newer graphite and a nicer price around $495. I will loudly second seadogs advice of casting the rods. I have worked at shops for some time now and can not tell you how many time people come in and have their heart set one rod cast it and end up walking out with a different one. My one biggest peice of advice is never buy a rod with out casting it. One man's perfect rod can be anothers junk.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed trail an error but gets to be pricey so try rods out for real... helps out and if you cant find a store that will let you the shows are coming up where you can than......
steve b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF,
I have worked in shops for the last 14 years or so and my advice is if a shop won't let you try a fly rod before you buy it find another place to buy the rod. Just because you may want a rod does not mean your going to like how it casts. i found this out with a spey rod I bought a couple of years ago, just had to have it so paid $$$$ for a rod and did not follow my own advice. when I idid fianlly cast it was while I was on a steelhead trip hated the rod thanks for an old reliable rod or trip would have been a bust.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a spey fan... Not quite yet... most rivers i been to are not to deep to where i cant walk to the spots i want to go.. I am still young and will walk around. Those rods come in handy with deep places you want to fish over or cast wicked far or you cant cast that far so you get one... lol Im itchin to go out.... Thinking of going to the farmington river tomorrow hopefully i can. I know the trout are loaded and hungry and are not spooked cause are not getting no pressure at all... Easy pickings.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: