CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Ice Fishing Jigs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Ice Fishing Jigs Reply with quote

Early in the season, I had some success with Hali or Kodiak type jigs and Swedish Pimple type jigs, but the bite slowed on them, so I've tried others, lately. Yesterday, I tried a perch eye jig (top) and a fire and ice jig (bottom), and had better luck with the perch eye jig:

I caught tons of sunnies, several black crappie (aka calico bass) and a short largemouth bass, all on the perch eye jig. However, asianfisher (aka Billy) caught three keeper largemouth bass with a green fire and ice jig.

All season long, I've had better luck baiting my jigs with maggots (aka spikes) than waxworms or mealworms. I haven't tried mousies. I also haven't caught any yellow perch. I've jigged up a 22 inch long chain pickerel and a large golden shiner, both on a baited Swedish Pimple, but not a single perch. Go figure!

Yesterday, Billy taught me a neat trick; tying a fly on your line about eight inches above your jig as a teaser. Baited or unbaited, it catches fish, too.

Anyway, I'm wondering what kinds of jigs have been working for everyone else. Anyone willing to share?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micros

PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Micros Reply with quote

SeaDog1 told me that the slower the fishing is, the smaller the jig you should use, so that makes sense to me. But, Ian, have you gotten any bigger fish (e.g., 18+ inch largemouth bass or chain pickerel) with them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been out twice so far this year. The first time I jigged up a decent yellow perch on a sweedish pimple "prism blue" 1/5oz baited with a dead mealworm. The second time out I caught a decent yellow perch on a macho minnow "golden perch" 1/8oz baited with a live waxworm and a 4lb 9oz LMB on a macho minnow "golden shiner" 1/12oz baited with a live waxworm.

I just picked up a couple of these...

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=223&pc=241

Northland eye dropper jigs in the super-glo perch color to try out next time I go.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Well for all of you that like to fish for Yellow Perch, here's a jig I was very very skeptical about because they proclaimed that NO Bait needed Exclamation

I tried this jig out on Colebrook Res. -> AND IT WORKS AS PROCLAIMED Exclamation

It's called a "Smakin Jack" -> Comes in 2 sizes and various colors.

(Small set)

(Large set)

Again -> THEY WORK - NO Bait needed Exclamation

www.smackinjacklures.com

Note: Watch the video on how your suppose to use them.....Simple Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: