CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Wintergreen 01/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Lake Wintergreen 01/26 Reply with quote

TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and I met up with asianfisher (aka Billy), and we went to Lake Wintergreen in Hamden. It's a pretty lake, but conditions were not ideal for fishing. Although the parking lot for the carry-in boat launch had been cleared of the heavy buildup of snow from earlier in the year, there was plenty of recent snow on the ground. And it only got worse throughout the day. We arrived at about 9:00 am. We followed the tracks of a cross country skiier, a dog walker and/or a fisherman or two across the shallow south cove and into the main body of the lake. We were the only ones on the snow covered ice as we set up off the earthen dam. We drilled our first holes around 9:30 am. As Billy was drilling holes for and setting up several tip-ups closer to the dam, Kira and I began jigging. It didn't take long before Kira pulled up a small black crappie:

Yeah, she wasn't very impressed with it, either:

With the first fish came the snow, along with a fairly steady south wind. Unfortunately, we got nothing else jigging and nothing on the four tip-ups. While we were getting shut out, we saw another fisherman walk across the earthen dam, past the spillway and onto the ice. He appeared to be just jigging. Billy decided to drill some holes closer to the spillway and had some luck, jigging up six sunnies. He eventually walked over to talk with the other fisherman, who had also jigged up a bunch of sunnies. By the time Billy walked back over to me and Kira, the other fisherman had packed up and left. We all headed over to the spillway, where Billy jigged up one more sunny. Meanwhile, Kira and I continued our fishless streak, although I got the first few nibbles of my last two outings, and even lost a maggot from the hook on my jig. After a while, we decided to explore the opposite shore, where a creek feeds into the lake. Once again, Billy and Kira set up some tip-ups while I continued to jig. Around 2:00 pm, I was jigging in about four feet of water and talking with Billy when my line started to tighten up. There was no sudden tug, but I knew that a fish was slowly moving away with my jig. I set the hook and cranked the reel a couple of times before we saw a decent largemouth bass at the hole. When I lifted up my rod with one hand and reached down with the other to lip it, it spit the hook, flipped over in the eight inch hole and got back down as I flailed at it with my hand in the water. Billy and I saw that it was a vividly patterned, approximately two pound bass. Sonofab!tch! While I was a little upset about losing the fish, I was actually kind of relieved that it wasn't a bigger fish I would have regretted losing even more. Here's a video that I shot shortly afterward:

Link

Unfortunately, that was how our day ended. We got off the ice about an hour later. My hands were cold from the wind and we all had to shake off a layer of snow. But, as always when fishing with Kira and Billy, I had a great time:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you lost one at the hole. It's still better than working though.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't I know it, Dawg!

My wife and kids are enjoying a snow day, today. Well, my wife is actually working from home, today, but I think she's enjoying it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lake Wintergreen 01/26 Reply with quote

Was interesting and got drilled why i didnt check out otherside of last spot where we were at by a few buddies of mine.. But only so much you can check out drilling own holes by hand and walking around... If my power auger worked have no issue drilling 30 holes before i even start that way gives time for noise to settle and more time to fish... First time there on the ice... LOL at phils fish had auger in hand and didnt even thin to grab it... To fast even for asian guys lmao....
fishinguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too many fish, but it's always great to be out giving it the ol' college try! Looks like you had fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira, Bill, and Phil

Glad you all had a good day Exclamation

Since you 3 are spending so much time on the ice together!
Guess we have to now make this OFFICIAL Exclamation

You 3 will NOW be known hensforth (On ICE) as the ->

3 AMIGOS Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SeaDog1 Mr. Green Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
metalfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice vid and pics.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to go out soon again....
metalfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfisher wrote:
Looking to go out soon again....

Some little birdy said maybe tomorrow night? If so I am lookin foward to it.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some little birdy said maybe tomorrow night? If so I am lookin foward to it.

If?!?! Try and stop me. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
asianfisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in..... Pops is coming too....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: