CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: just got into flyfishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunkerTalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: just got into flyfishing Reply with quote

Just got a new fly rod and reel sooooo adicted!
steve b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: addicted Reply with quote

Lunker,
got my first fly rod about 35 years ago and been addicted ever since. the bets part is you can make of it waht you want. If you want to be casual about it or dive in whole hog you can still enjoy yourself and catch fish. Biggest thing is don't get caught up in too much of the hype. Like any sport there are many ways fly fishing is viewed, just always remember it is about catching fish they have pea brians and don't really know all that much. welcome to the addiction that can be fly fishing.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lunker!

I'm a fly fisherman also!
Have fly fished since I was 13 -> Now 62.
VERY ADDICTIVE Exclamation
Steve b is correct -> try not to get too caught up with all the hype!

By the way -> You'll hear a lot about using a strike indicator -> just a fancy name for a BOBBER -> IT'S A BOBBER Exclamation -> It tells you when a fish takes your bait or fly, what ever it happens to be made of Exclamation

Also keep in mind that Brown Trout are the Cannibals of the trout world -> They will eat their own even 1/2 their size. -> Soooo! To consistantly catch a nice big Brown, cast a nice big meaty fly or streamer and not those tiny #14 - #22 orderve dry flies.
Those Big Browns want Meat and Potatoes NOT tid-bits.

Now don't get me wrong, I also use dry flies -> I'd suggest you start with non-descript flies (in 2-3 sizes) that can imitate a number of different insects. There are thousands of patterns and can run into lots of money buying them.

Have FUN with your new found fishing sport Exclamation

Best regards,
SeaDog1
asianfisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hype? about the equipment? trail and error for everything. what might work for you might snap and be garbage for me... If this is what we are talking about.. I would like to say i an into big game fish but not cause i fish for salmon and trout on east coast of usa... They have size to them but dont fight like searun salmon... I have bone fished but dont have the funds to do it as much as i want.. So i stick around here and make the best of what i can do... Stripers beware this year... have sinking line that drops over 9" a sec..... sweet deal... Looking forward into meeting some fellow fly fishers in the area... oh and the fly hype... trail and error and different for all areas.. can never go wrong with a nymph tho.... My opinion...
steve b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF,
when I speak of hype i am talking about having the latest and greatest equipment, waders, $100 fly line etc. when just starting out keep it simple learn to use the good equipment first then graduate to $$$$ stuff. A $500 or $600 rod will not make you a better caster actually just the opposite some high end rods can be real hard to cast. When I guide a beginner and they just want to catch fish and not learn all that much we will swing wet flies and soft hackles simple to get a good drift and fish will hit them hard. I will second the Nymph statement. But like i always say to clients " we will let the trout tell us what to throw" if you want to catch more than just a couple of fish don't try to force feed them.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Fly Fishing Additcts Reply with quote

What everyone is saying is great advice. Ive been at this for about 10 years I hardly ever pick up a spinning rod for trout any more I find it not as much of a challange compared to trying to fool a fish with a hook and thread. My advice is dont let your vest become an anchor, you dont need to carry around 3 -5 fly boxs filled with every kind of fly. Find the ones that imitate more than one bug and then I have my go to fly when nothing else is working. Like somone said before keep it simple.

Fish Hard or Stay Home!
Colossians 1:16-17 For by Him all thinge were created.......
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fly Fishing Additcts Reply with quote

Agree on spinning to fly... cant compare, Anyone still fly fishing? Im down to go farmington for some trout or even yet naugy river for some salmon....
Grizz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Fly Fishing Farmington Reply with quote

I packed my nymph rod and gear in the truck 2 Saturdays ago to try the TMA or peoples forest but you couldnt get to the water for there was to much ice along the shore. So I went to West Hill Lake for some ice fishing, it was a good day after all Very Happy I'd go if I can get into the river. Never did the salmon thing on the Naugy sounds good.

Fish Hard or Stay Home
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fly Fishing Farmington Reply with quote

It still might be good.. They did stock a bunch. There are trout in there too. Ice on the river banks? do you have cleats or carbide screws in your boots?
Grizz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Fly Fishing Farmington Reply with quote

No I dont, I use stocking waders with felt bottoms with alot of layers underneath them. Never thought about cleats on my wading shoes good idea Idea Also I have a 4wt rod would that be heavy enough for those salmon I know they can get to be a good size Question

Fish Hard or Stay Home!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grizz!

Wouldn't use less than a 6 wt. rod for Salmon.
7 or 8 wt. would even be better.
Sure af will agree.
For Salmon -> You need the backbone of a heavier rod for those big fish Exclamation

Google the Internet for strap-on wader/boot cleats!
Oh! And some states are banning felt bottoms due to the possibility of the transfer of some fish viruses from infected waters to others. Exclamation

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VT and surrounding states are trying to do that... Didnt know about restrictions about some waters and found out first hand that you cant just launch any boat without some kind of hot steam wash... and i was wearing waders in the yak with felt and they also drilled me about that... Needless to say i was sent on my way....
Grizz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Post Subject Reply with quote

I kind of thought my gear was a little light for those big boys. Do think an 8wt would be good for both the salmon and mabye salt water for striper, and would that require different lines for each Question I havent seen the regs for CT yet I'll have to check into the felt sole issue.

Thanks for the feed back Smile

Fish Hard or Stay Home
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Post Subject Reply with quote

Felt sole, CT has not mad any laws just yet... Most of the upper states from here that i know are. 8wt is good universal size for both of them.... In my opinion... I use 7-8wt. Nothing bigger for any of my fish adventures... Not around here... Not yet.. But i do puch my rods to the limit and dont suggest anyone to do so unless you have lifetime warranty and you know the rod that you are beating on... If you want to play and fight with them i would suggest 7wt for the salmon and steelhead... But for the salmon in ct 5-6wt are perfect they dont fight and if they do is just briefly.... Sweet alot of fly fisherman.... Cant wait to start it up this year although id like to do it today imma break someone in spinning for trout first just cause of the weather for them... Imma set her up with a fly rod so she can see if she likes it. Just dont know what reel to let her use....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: