CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: fluke information please?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: fluke information please? Reply with quote

In all my years of fishing I have been a freshwater fisherman. As a kid I remember going with my father down off pleasure beach in bridgeport and catching flatfish. Are these just little fluke? I want to try to get some of these big guys (heard they are very tasty). I want to put in under I-95 at the state ramp. Is this a secure ramp without vandalism? I have read a few reports about the ct. river but never fished there. I would like to know which is the best tide...what bait should I use... do you go out of the mouth past the train trestle...once you hit the sound which way east or west? I guess according to some of the posts you don't anchor but drift. I know these are alot of questions but I would appreciate it if someone who knows more than me (not hard) could respond. Thanks for any help cmorjoe ps from the posts there seems to be a size limit... what is that size limit; also I heard some talk about a saltwater fishing liscence is my CT freshwater all I need?
Po'BoyFishin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fluke information please? Reply with quote

cmorjoe wrote:
In all my years of fishing I have been a freshwater fisherman. As a kid I remember going with my father down off pleasure beach in bridgeport and catching flatfish. Are these just little fluke? I want to try to get some of these big guys (heard they are very tasty). I want to put in under I-95 at the state ramp. Is this a secure ramp without vandalism? I have read a few reports about the ct. river but never fished there. I would like to know which is the best tide...what bait should I use... do you go out of the mouth past the train trestle...once you hit the sound which way east or west? I guess according to some of the posts you don't anchor but drift. I know these are alot of questions but I would appreciate it if someone who knows more than me (not hard) could respond. Thanks for any help cmorjoe ps from the posts there seems to be a size limit... what is that size limit; also I heard some talk about a saltwater fishing liscence is my CT freshwater all I need?

I don't know about your area the launch in question and don't claim to be an expert but I can tell you a few things I have learned. As far as size limits in CT waters its 18" I personally am not really concerned with what tide it is as long as its moving (maybe because I'm usually out for a full 12hrs at a time Laughing ) I think most folks like the out going usually means bait fish get sucked out and become an easy meal for the predatory fish. I think the key to fluke fishing is trying different colors or types of rigs until you see what works I feel you cant go wrong with an assortment of bean buck tails on tandem rigs (old school white with a red stripe or pink are my personal favorites) I also like to make my own rigs with a very large #4 fluke hook and pink/Mylar teaser on a 4' fluorocarbon leader attached to a 3 way swivel off the swivel I tie a loop of 20lb mono for the weight I feel strongly that the key to success is a good sensitive insore style rod (I use a medium heavy? ugly stick i think its a 6'6" and a penn 9m) braided line and use the least weight possible also keep jigging but not to fast. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: THANKS FOR THE REPLY Reply with quote

I guess all the other saltwater fishermen thought I wanted them to tell me their secret spots. All I wanted was some general info on fluke fishing. Thanks for the reply Po'BoyFishin'' you seem to be the only one who didn't feel my request was threatening. cmorjoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: