CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Home Made Quick Strike Rigs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Home Made Quick Strike Rigs Reply with quote

Most of the time I am using big bait for pike, I use a 9" steel leader from main line to hook, then use 6" steel leader from 1st hook to 2nd hook. I am talking about prefabbed store bought leaders. This works just fine during open water when towing or drifting because I will hook the bait in the lips with the first hook. The problem I'm having is when ice fishing, it's better to put the first hook on top of the head in front of the dorsal fin to keep the bait hanging horizontal, and the 6" leader is too long. Even on a 10" baitfish the last hook ends up near the end of the tail. Rolling Eyes
So I read about this somewhere and decide to give it a try. It works great and is really strong, too Exclamation
Take a large paper clip and straighten it out. Use 2 pairs of pliers and make a tiny loop at one end and wrap the tag end around the wire 3 times. Now take a large treble hook and thread the other end of the wire through the eye, and again wrap the tag end around the wire 3 times. You can make this paper clip leader from 3" to 4" long.
Use the same steel leader and hook that you would in the front of the bait and take the loop end of the paper clip leader and put it on the snap (with the first hook) of the store bought leader. Now you can hook the treble just behind the dorsal fin of your bait.
Cheap, easy, and efficient. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey flipper have u ever just used a 6 inch wire leader and 2 trebles and a good snap swivel?
what i do when im in a jam is just slip the leader on to the snap swivel then one of the trebels and snap my last treble at the oposite end...
u could always bridle them with a rubberband and a bait needle that seems to work better when i just wanna use a single treble i bridle them in the meat right above the nose twist the rubberbad a few times so it will break away instantly.rubber band to snap and single treble just behing the dorsal..
thats how i do it sure other people will chime in on how they do it...
DaveyDave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: