CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: PIKE! -> Is a 4 Letter Dirty Word in Maine!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: PIKE! -> Is a 4 Letter Dirty Word in Maine! Reply with quote

FYI!

Just read a post on another forum that a fellow recently pulled a Pike (confirmed) out of Moosehead Lake, Maine.

Pike are a very much hated species of fish up there in Maine lakes.

The comments where most vicious:
Crush its head.
Drive a stake thru it.
Time to move to Montana.
Shoot the bucket Ba**ard that put it in the lake.
@#$%^&*
Speechless!
etc.
etc.
Even mentioning the name "PIKE" is likely to cause repercussions of a dangerous nature by fishermen in Maine!

Those guys really really HATE PIKE in their waters Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

So as an FYI -> I'd suggest to all -> Never to ask how the PIKE fishing is in Maine if you go there to fish Exclamation

SeaDog1
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they at least say why they have such hatred fo pike? Hurts the other fisheries, etc? Sad to think they would kill it for no real reason. Just seems a waste of the gifts and resources we have been given.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES Exclamation

The waters in Maine are "STRICTLY" a Coldwater Fishery Exclamation

Primarily for Salmon and Trout, which Maine is famous for Exclamation

Any species of fish, not historicly native to Maine waters, is NOT to be introduced -> "FORBIDDEN by State Law Exclamation "

Here's a very candid post by a Maine fisherman from the other forum:

Personally I have to agree with his post!
Bucket bioligists can do more harm then good!

Here in Connecticut we do not have the extensive native coldwater fishery as they do in Maine (We only have a very small number of coldwater lakes and streams here in Ct. and ours are stocked and totally Put and Take).

Pike in Maine are considered the same as Snakeheads here in Ct.
Don't need them, Don't want them, KILL THEM Exclamation

Out in the Mid-west (add Massachusetts) they catch and spear Pike (An ancient and time honored form of fishing) -> They also EAT THEM Exclamation

Here in Ct. most fishermen catch and release Pike! -> Or have a big one mounted!
Me! -> If I happen to catch a big Pickerel or Pike (of legal size - Not out of the Housy) -> I EAT it Exclamation -> An "Excellent" very sweet white meat!

When Pike (any size) are caught in the " very small handful of coldwater lake or stream fisheries" we have here in Ct., they are KILLED Exclamation

WHY you ask! -> Because they don't belong in certain waters where their presents can cause damage to an exsisting fishery.
Just like Alewives have done, here in Ct., when introduced to waters they originally never exsisted in.

Leave the stocking and managment of fish in Ct. to the Fishery Bioligists and -> NOT the Bucket Biologists Exclamation

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Phil (aka PECo) and I went to West Hill last weekend we noticed 3 or 4 pickerel that had been caught and killed by a group of ice fishermen that were there before us. I was wondering why they had just killed and left them on the ice with no intent to eat them. Now I suspect I know why.

I can understand how a non-native species may be detrimental to a fishery but I'm pretty sure pickerel are native to West Hill and probably keep certain fish populations in check.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD!

Well pickerel are a widely spread native fish!
I'm sure there will never be a lack of them in any Ct. waters.

Pike on the other hand are not native to Ct., but introduced to fill a needed predator nitch in -> very specifc Ct. waters.

My hope is that no Bucket Bioligists take it upon themselves to spread Pike to any other Ct. waters that they where never intended to be in Exclamation

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Pike NOT being regulated by bucket biologists. Leave it up to the DEP management programs. But I disagree that people should kill fish just for the hell of it. If they plan to eat it fine...otherwise put it back IMHO. Killing non-native invasive species is a whole other story all together. In most cases it is probably best to remove the invasive fish from the fishery.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

When I made the post today about how the fishermen in Maine hate PIKE -> It was only 1 page -> It's now 6 pages long and more to come.

There are a LOT of ANGRY fishermen up in Maine about PIKE being found in their coldwater Salmon and Trout fisheries.

Some have even advocated serious violent action against Bucket Bio's if caught. (Maine has a $10,000.00 penalty to be levied against anyone caught introducing illegal fish into their waters.)

P.S. -> Oh! As an added FYI from the other forum -> A large number of the Maine guys have posted their fervent dislike for Bass and Bassfishermen with their big bass boats!

Wheeew! These Maine guys (from all over the state) are really really upset over any invasive fish species Exclamation

And we thought we here in Ct. where upset about the spread of alwives (+ Snakeheads) in our waters Exclamation Shocked Shocked Shocked

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to eat the next 20+ inch chain pickerel that I catch. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Do you know how to fillet the Y bones out Question

I can teach you if you want -> Or go to youtube and watch a how to video Exclamation Very Happy

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'll just take them out when I fillet the cooked fish. They'll come out nice and easy, then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the pike hatred. It does make sense to protect the native species. But to kill pickeral for no reason. That one I dont get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: