CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Countryside Park 02/28
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Countryside Park 02/28 Reply with quote

I was being really lazy this morning after cleaning up the mess that my wife had made in my kitchen over the weekend. asianfisher (aka Billy) called just before noon to let me know that he was going to head over to Beseck Lake. However, I couldn't go because I had to schlep my daughter around in the afternoon. Just after 1:15 pm, I decided to drag my butt off the couch and down to the upper pond at Countryside Park, where jonnyfly00 (aka Jon) had caught a 15 inch rainbow trout on a tip-up the other day. I didn't bring any tip-ups and planned to only jig with the few waxies that I had left. I drilled a couple of holes near the covered bridge and spillway down to the lower pond on the south end, but didn't get any nibbles. Next, I drilled a couple more holes in the southeast corner of the pond and also didn't get any nibbles. So, I decided to head away from the shore and drilled one hole in the middle of the pond, about a third of the way up from the south end. At 1:40 pm, shortly after my waxie baited micro jig hit the bottom in about 15 feet of water, I got a nibble and landed a sunny:

A minute later, I got a yellow perch. And a minute after that, I got another perch. I jigged up three sunnies and four perch in ten minutes! Whoo hoo! And then I ran out of bait. Confused

I sent texts to Jon and DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) to let them know that the bite was on and headed up to Barkhamstead to get more waxies from UpCountry Sportfishing. On my way back to Countryside, Jon let me know that he would meet me there. When I got back, I dropped my jig down the hole in the middle of the pond and, whoo hoo!, the bite was still on. Before Jon got there, I landed another sunny, two more perch and a black crappie.

Jon arrived shortly after 3:00 pm and began drilling holes to set some tip-ups. When he went to set the first one, a fish stole his minnow before he could even set the flag. He then proceeded to get three more flags on the same tip-up within 20 minutes and lost every fish, the last one at the hole! However, he got his fifth flag on his second tip-up and managed to finally land a short largemouth bass:

Link

My daughter showed up at 4:00 pm and began to jig with us. She got her first ever fish through the ice. And then her second. And then her third. She ended up landing eight fish in one hour. She got sunnies and perch. At one point, we had a double when I jigged up a short bass and she jigged up a perch:

I ended up losing track of all of the fish that I jigged up. I probably landed two dozen fish, including sunnies, perch, crappies and the one bass. I got the cycle today, baby! Very Happy Jon got the lunker on a tip-up, which was a 15 inch bass:

Link

He also jigged up a short bass. Jessica and I had to leave the ice at 5:00 pm. Hopefully, Jon got more action after we left.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Sounds like a fun afternoon.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like everyone did well...you definitely didn't miss out on anything at Beseck yesterday. I think the fish left.
Please tell Jessica I said hello & and that I'd like to show her how to fish a frog this summer. I'm concerned that she's becoming overexposed to live bait & senkos. Wink

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: