CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: seaflower reef
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: seaflower reef Reply with quote

went out today to the seaflower reef today,hoping to due better than the 4th.(that how bad we did,didnt even make a report)last nite i made up some different rigs,one was about the same as a mario rig,but i used a 2 ounce jig with multi- colored bucktail.and a white teaser for the floater.another was my basic rig without spinners and a glow-in-the-dark squid body,and many pink rigs.and i also found a package of gulp sand eels that i recieved at one of the sportsmen show for renewing a magazine subscription.so i threw them into my bag
as we were heading down the thames from shaws cove,i decieded to use the 2oz jig first,since this would be the only time i could.as i was going through my stuff i ran across the gulp,so i put i on the floater,and a hickory shad strip on the jig.about 100 yd into the drift i thought i got into weeds,i pull up and it pulling back,set the hook,landed a 17.5 on the gulp.dropped back down,went another 100 yds,same thing,landed 17 inch on the gulp.i ended up landing 9 more shorts on one eel,before the drift got to much,both joe and don got one keeper each before noon.
when i switched to the glow in the dark.it produced very well,i was the only one landing fish.all shorts except one 16 inch sea bass.near ebb tide the drift slowed down so i switched back to the 2 oz,landed 6 more short on the same eel.these are some tough baits.
on the way in the lower end of the motor started to make a banging noise,stoped to see if we tangled up in something,nothing we could see,started off again,the noise came back with a severe vibration,ended up being towed in by seatow.so much for the luck of 7/7/07
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: HOPE I DO AS WELL! Reply with quote

Never gone for fluke but if it gets any cooler by the end of the week I plan to go out of old saybrook. I see you used artifical bait; I think thats what I will try. From a freshwater fisherman to a salt water fisherman what is a sea bass; is in anything like the LMB and SMB I am accustomed to missing? thanks for any info you can give...cmorjoe
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sea bass is a tasty morsel that is usually caught in Connecticut while targeting fluke ,blackfish or porgies.We don`t seem to have enough in CT. , to target regular but in Rhode Island you can grab a inshore charter for them.
They basically eat anything the 3 fish i named above feed on.I seem to catch a ton of sea bass on bucktails tipped with squid or clams.

They are quite tasty if you make them with any kind of a citrus dressing.It seems to bring out the flavor.
Tashmoo 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Outdoors,

Sorry to hear about the engine

I would also try Vixens Ledge. We caught some nice fish there with white 3-4 oz bucktails dressed with long squid strips and a small bucktail dropper or just a plain old long strip of squid or any fish strip on a 3 way with sinker. I think the size of squid makes a big difference. The best are the long ones which are sometimes hard to find. Supermarkets and local bait stores sell the small ones in the boxes. Streeters usually has big ones and tso does the bait store in Old Saybrook has them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we fish there also.and have done well there..i tried there in the begining of the season,it was slow.we were planning to fish around ram islad sunday,have had great succes there this year,hopefully the boat get fixed soon
,i get my squid from bigy they are about 6-8inches a 3 lbs is 5.99.a friend goes to cape cod and came home this year with 30 pounds of squid he caught.all 12-18 inches,he gave me 13 lbs for bait
.i agree with you about the size.that what is nice fishing with a couple of peaple,you can use different set-ups,and sizes to see what they are looking for
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the longer the better but i have also caught a ton of sea bass on balled up bait.I think they are just gluttenous and agressive they like big baits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: