CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Walleye Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Walleye Fishing Reply with quote

I was curious what information you guys have for walleye fishing. Baits, set ups, what pound test, what type of set up to use? I received some information from a friend that there are some good numbered of walleye in a certain area and he told me to fish it hard in the middle of march since they'll be spawning. I just dont know what to use for bait, or line or what. I was going to just go buy an average 6 foot rod with a decent reel on it. Could you guys help me with what pound test, what type of bait or set up to use for walleye? I'm lost and never fished for them, please let me know.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still in CT? It sounds like you're expecting to cast into open water 2 weeks from now. I hope you're right, but as of right now mid-March is too early for walleye to spawn (water temp is supposed to be 42-54 degrees) You can use pretty much any type of setup (braid w/flouro leader) & any bait that can be fished at the depth you're targeting. They should be most active between pre-sunset & dawn.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cthonkerheaven!

As an FYI -> ALL the Walleye waters in Ct. (per Ct. Angler's Guide) are closed after the last day in Feburary -> Because they may also hold Trout.

Don't know who your friend is that told you to fish for Walleye in the middle of March -> But he's wrong and that would be poaching on waters out of season Exclamation

The following waters having Walleye are "Closed to All Fishing" from the 1st day of March till the 3rd Saturday in April Exclamation

Batterson (Closed to fishing Oct. 31)
Beach
Coventry
Mashapug
Lake Saltonstall
Saugatuck Res.
Squantz

Go up on the Ct. DEP web site and read the 2011 Angler's Guide and even print it off if you can.

Only Pan Fish waters are still open!

SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seadog1!

The Angler's Guide isn't entirely accurate and updated with their species info (Example: Beseck Lake.) I've got the 2009 guide in front of me & supposedly Rainbow Reservoir had no calico bass or smallies 2 years ago. I've caught more smallies than anything else there...and seriously, look what it's connected to...the DEP should have at least assumed there might be smallies present and maybe thrown a tube in there or asked someone who's fished there. Carp and catfish/bullhead are present in a lot more waters than they'll have you believe. Bolton has eels in it, which is only relevant because I had a 3 foot one wrap itself around my arm in total darkness, which sucks in case you were wondering.

I'm pretty sure there's a few places where night panfishing might result in a "surprise" walleye.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

My info came from the 2011 Guide!
On line off the DEP web site!

Oh! And Kira -> Eels smoked Italian style -> YUMMY Exclamation Very Happy

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Hi Kira!

My info came from the 2011 Guide!
On line off the DEP web site!

SeaDog1

I'm looking at the 2011 guide too. Page 7 says walleye open season is year-round *except in areas closed to all fishing during a period of the year. My point is that the DEP guide has an obscene amount of species omissions. There's places stocked with walleye not listed in the guide...not stocked by the DEP, but stocked. Regardless, cthonkerheaven isn't catching a damn thing in mid-March unless he drills some holes.

TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass on the eels thanks. There's no reason for something to produce that much slime.

SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kira!

Yeah! I read page 7 -> But you have to read the particular waters that Walleye are listed in and those are closed March 1 to 3rd Sat. in April Exclamation

As for other waters such as Lake Pocotapoug in East Hampton -> That's a town owned lake which has Walleye -> But only residents can fish it or if you have a permission letter (on your person) from a resident.

So what other waters (other then those listed) do you know of that have Walleye in them that I don't Question

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
I'll pass on the eels thanks. There's no reason for something to produce that much slime.

Hi Kira!

Yeah! Eels are slimy and I can see your adversion to them -> But baiting your hook with a tiny spike (Maggot) -> Wussy Exclamation Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expectation of open water makes me think this spot is on the CT River.

SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:

Hi Kira!

Hmmmmmmmm Question You may be right Exclamation Though I haven't ever hear of any Walleye taken out of the Ct. River Rolling Eyes

SeaDog1
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
TurtleKiss wrote:

Hi Kira!

Hmmmmmmmm Question You may be right Exclamation Though I haven't ever hear of any Walleye taken out of the Ct. River Rolling Eyes

SeaDog1

They're in the river & I'm pretty sure they spend some time in Wethersfield Cove. Knowing when/where they spawn would be some nice info to have...definitely ups your chances of catching one.

jomonkey527

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to get my first Walleye this season. I "friended" the television show on Facebook, "The Next Bite" which airs on Versus. They recently had a post where you get to field test some new Mustad hooks for this year. I was one of the first 100 to sign up. I am really excited about trying thier Slow Death Hook. Though I am not sure how effective I will be able to troll in my kayak. But the action looks deadly. Supposedly they are great on pike and bass as well. That would be cool too, since I have never caught a pike either. Thats on my list of goals for 2011 too.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be able to troll effectively in your kayak. I've read a few very interesting posts about it on the web (e.g., make BIG turns when trolling two lines and you're not trolling deep enough if you're not snagging up occasionally). I love trolling in my kayaks when I'm just trying to get somewhere. Look ma, free fish! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rigged up pretty basic. I don't have any electronics so gauging the right depth might be a challenge, and no rod holder. I pretty mcuh use the kayak my family and I go on. Its a sit on top Ocean Kayak. I am thinking of buying a couple bottom bouncer setups and giving it a go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: