CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Conservation & DEP
Viewing Topic: Proposed Regulations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Proposed Regulations Reply with quote

The DEP has proposed amendments to the regulations pertaining to Fisheries and Wildlife:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/public_notice_attachments/draft_regulations/2011_fish&wildlife_regs_proposal_draft.pdf

I didn't see any changes that would impact me very much. However, I noticed that the DEP has proposed to add Keney Park Pond (NOT Keeney Cove!), Lake Wintergreen and Lower Storrs Pumping Station Pond to the list of lakes and ponds with a closed season from midnight on the last day of February through 6:00 a.m. on the third Saturday in April.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the issue with bowfin is?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Proposed Regulations Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
The DEP has proposed amendments to the regulations pertaining to Fisheries and Wildlife:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/public_notice_attachments/draft_regulations/2011_fish&wildlife_regs_proposal_draft.pdf

Hi All,

Yes! .....These are all "proposed amendments" and as such are not the law of the land yet!

Plus.... Since this is a work in progress -> addtitional amendments or deletions of rules or regs. may still occur.

All still have to go thru the pro/con/revision argumentative process before final enactment.

As to when that will be is the ($64,000) question Exclamation

So bottom line is -> Everyone sit back and relax and not go off the deep end before final enactment and these become law Exclamation

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, these aren't the regulations, at least not yet. Hence the term "proposed'. It's interesting that the DEP hasn't proposed any changes to the definitions of "hook" or "fishhook", or "angling".

The contact person at the DEP regarding the proposed regulations is William "Bill" Foreman. I sent him an email requesting clarification of the current definitions of "hook" or "fishhook", "angling" and "float" or "bobber". Here's my email and his responses (in red):

Quote:
Now that open water fishing season is here, I've been reviewing the regulations pertaining to sport fishing in the inland district. I've heard a lot of things from other fishermen that appear, to me at least, to conflict with the regulations and am hoping that you could clarify a few things:

1) I've heard that treble hooks are considered to be one hook.

Section 26-112-43(k) states:
"Hook" or "fishhook" means a curved, pointed device, with or without barb, used to catch fish. Hooks may be single, double or treble and each point shall be considered as a single hook.

Since a treble hook has three "points", isn't it considered to be three hooks? In other words, wouldn't a lure with three treble hooks on it be considered to have nine hooks on it? YES.

2) I've heard that you cannot have more than three hooks on a fishing line. THAT’S “BAITED” HOOKS.

Section 26-112-43(a) states:
"Angling" means fishing with hook and line which shall be personally attended, but shall not include ice fishing or snagging or snatching. Not more than two lines, with or without rods, may be used at one time. Each line may have any combination of hooks, flies or lures, among which not more than three hooks may be baited.

Couldn't you have more than three hooks on a line, as long as "not more than three" are baited? YES (in most areas, note that some areas do have further gear restrictions).

3) I've heard that "jug fishing" or "jugging" is legal.

Section 26-112-43(m) states:
"Float" or "bobber" means any buoyant object attached to a fishing line. No such floatshall be used unless the line is personally attended.

What does "the line is personally attended" mean in regard to a "float" or "bobber"? Would a baited hook that's attached to a line that's attached to a float that's free floating be considered "personally attended"? YES as long as you are there with it. In other words, is "jug fishing" or "jugging" permitted? YES as long as you are out there with it and can retrieve the float promptly. If you are out in a kayak/canoe/boat you could have up to two lines out. An example of something that would not be legal would be to place a float/line out in a water body, and then leave it out there (while you go home, or sit on shore with no means to retrieve the float). I don't see how a device that could float away from you due to wind, current or a fish could be considered to be "personally attended". You must be close by and have the means to promptly retrieve the float. Ice fishing tip-ups are obviously different, because they can't float away from you.

Thank you for your consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info!
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's good info, thanks
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.P. - Bowfin are a non-native, invasive species in Connecticut.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
J.P. - Bowfin are a non-native, invasive species in Connecticut.

Well, so is the largemouth bass Very Happy

Anyway, I read that they were introduced to the river but wasn't aware they were non-native to the lakes and ponds too. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, change is good. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not if your a pickerel Very Happy
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good stuff from the DEP guy. This pretty much confirms that you can have 15 different lures on 1 pole as long as only 3 have bait on them. That means that umbrella rigs are legal in fresh water. Sweet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Conservation & DEP All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: