CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Spring Pond 03/31
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Spring Pond 03/31 Reply with quote

After spending three days in Boston without fishing, I had to get out on the water, today. I fished Spring Pond in El Habañero from about 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm, when the drizzle started to turn into rain. The water level in the pond is almost back to normal. It's four feet lower than it was the first time that I was there on the open water this year with jonnyfly00 (aka Jon). There was a light south wind, which was different from the usual north, northwest or west wind that always seems to be there. I stayed mainly in the south cove, although I did a slow circuit of the south island. I ended up catching three small keeper largemouth bass. One was 13 inches and two were 14 inches long:

I caught the first and third bass while dragging a wacky five inch green pumpkin/red flake Senko over the bottom and through the milfoil that's now only one to two feet below the surface of the water. I caught the second one on a Texas-rigged Sweet Beaver that TurtleKiss (aka Kira) gave to me last year. Yes, that's a rubber bobber stop and a big ass bullet weight above the hook. Luckily, the hook was very sharp, because my hookset was very weak. I thought that I was just dragging it through some milfoil when it began to slowly pull back. Here's a video that I took right before I headed off the water:

Link

The bass are definitely starting to bite, now. I can't wait for this crappy weather to clear.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job! I'm hoping to get out on Saturday for white perch.

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - here's a tip for you. If you want to keep the bullet weight from sliding up and down the line, shove a toothpick in the back side of the weight, then break the remaining off. That will keep it pegged without putting a stop in front of the weight. That stop probably still picks up weeds, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Damian. Actually, the rubber bobber stop helps keep the bullet weight from picking up weeds. I got that tip from Gary Yamamoto. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil! How deep were the fish holding?
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the first one on the south end of the south cove. I was pulling my Senko out of the milfoil when I saw a beautiful green flash. As I drafted past the spot, I threw the Senko over my shoulder and got it to bite again. I think that the bass there are hiding in the weeds near the bottom. Dragging the lure on the bottom worked. All three that I caught were in less than six feet of water, although the third was the only one that I got while casting toward cover on the shore. The other two were in the middle of the pond.

I didn't give any swimming lures like a spinnerbait or a crankbait a try. If it's windy, I might try trolling one today.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cotton Cordell, royal shad super spot...trust me Phil that Lure works magic
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil
johnnybass860

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to go. nice fish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: