CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Heading to Maine - Saltwater Licenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mustang11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Heading to Maine - Saltwater Licenses? Reply with quote

Heading to Maine in the early summer, but I'm a bit confused on their regulations for saltwater fishing.

We're going to charter a liscenced boat one day so I know we don't need anything for that, but of course I want to fish from shore the rest of the time so does anyone know Maine's current rules on saltwater fishing licenses?

All they seem to mention on the state's site is that residents with lifetime fishing licenses need also to get saltwater licenses - but they don't say anything about non residents.

If you have been there so far this year or can help on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brian
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure you need a license to saltwater fish in Maine....The reason why CT has saltwater licenses is because the government was going to impose saltwater licenses federally, so all the states jumped on it so they get the money....that was my understanding anyway...
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mustang111

Here's the info you need concerning Maine saltwater fishing.

www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational/registry/index.htm

More detailed info at the bottom of the page under "frequently asked question".

SeaDog1
mustang11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I was aware of the moves by the states to get their licensing programs in before the federal registry took effect. What I am stuck on with Maine's setup is the regulations regarding costal fishing and the state license vs saltwater registry.

If I am correct, if I only plan to fish in saltwater/marine areas for bass while visiting, I do not need to purchase a Maine fishing license, however I do need to register with the Saltwater Recreational Fishing Registry and get the Striped Bass endorsement. This is the part I want to make sure of.

Thanks,
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: