CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Hamburg Cove 04/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Hamburg Cove 04/07 Reply with quote

I had planned to fish for stripers in Derby with asianfisher (aka Billy) today, but when I picked him up, we decided to head down to Hamburg Cove and fish for white perch, instead. We launched next to the Hamburg Cove Yacht Club around 11:30 am. It was sunny and warm, with just a slight breeze for most of the day. If you didn't get out on the water today, you missed the best day of the year so far. Unfortunately, I was totally unprepared to fish with small jigs in clear water. I had 65 pound braided line on my reels and left my sunglasses at home. Although I could only see the fish in the water from time to time, Billy lent me one of his two light tackle rods and reels, and gave me some jig heads and soft plastic grass shrimp.

I had a blast. The pink jig head with the flourescent yellow grass shrimp worked pretty well. I had never fished for white perch or any schooling fish before, so it was a trip to see masses of them under my boat. There were so many fish that we never went more than 100 yards from where we launched. By the time that we got off the water at 4:45 pm, I had caught maybe 30 and Billy had caught well over 100. Yes, I said over 100. And, no, we didn't keep all of them but, heck yes, we took our limit. Here's my first:

Several other fishermen also got to enjoy the white perch action in the cove while we were there; a couple of guys in a jon boat, a couple of guys on the shore and a few guys in kayaks, like us. I had to back my kayak out of the way of one of the other guys in a kayak who was getting towed by a fish before he landed it. It pulled him about 15 feet. As I backed away, I said, "Did you hook a smallie?", and he said that he wasn't sure what the heck it was. When he landed it, he said, "Holy cow!", and he wasn't kidding. It turned out to be a huge cow of a white perch, maybe 16 or 17 inches long.

I can't wait to head back there again, before the schools of white perch disappear. However, the next time, I'll have my sunglasses, a light tackle rod and reel, and a nice selection of small jigs with me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job PECo and asianfisher! WP are alot of fun, especially with light action. I hope to get out there at least once more. Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Good going Exclamation
Yeah! White Perch are fun to catch and super to eat!

Hope to get out this weekend.
Last 2 days, I've been quite busy arranging for 2 ships to pick up tons of emergency equipment being railed down from the US warehouses in New Hampshire.
All going to Japan for relief.
Maritime logistics is my specialty.

Oh! Great picture of you holding that Fall Fish! Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niec report, that place is a blast for WP
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to fast for a blood draw, today, so I'm starving. But I get to have pan fried Hamburg Cove white perch fillets for lunch:

Yes, that's pan fried in butter. The smell is amazing.

Anyone want to fish after lunch?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Yumm Reply with quote

that looks awsome, making me wish i wasnt at work right now, getting hungry.

wish i could fish today. i have guitar lessons. and i have to run to my cuz house after. Luckily i may be able to fish a bit there. he lives right on silver lake on the berlin turnpike. havent seen anyone catching anything over there just yet.

itchen to fish for sure. hurry up weekend. my weekend starts at 2pm saturday. i be fishing after that.

good luck today if you head out.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks delish!!
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went back saturday. 30 WP 4 YP 1 pickerel 1 striper, pickerel was bout 30" and striper was 25"... all in all great day.... went out to 2nd cove after WP limit to target striper. Seen the other asian that the WP was pulling around in the yak again although wasnt in yak was in one of those plastic boats with his friend and son... good to know people are getting kids into it...
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were about a bajillion WP under my boat yesterday, but they wanted nothing to do with me and my improper equipment.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it. Confused The same thing happened when I was there with Billy. We were throwing the same jig, but he got four times as many bites as I. But I figured out what I was doing wrong. It was my retrieve. I knew that Billy's retrieve was different from mine, because he snagged several perch and I never did.

When I went back to Hamburg Cove, today, I learned to make sure that the jig is on the bottom and do a slow but steady retrieve while periodically jerking the jig off of the bottom. You have to keep cranking your reel when you jerk the jig with your rod tip. If you pause the retrieve when you jerk the jig, the fish won't bite. When you do it right, you can feel the jig pulling off the bottom and the fish will hit the lure right when you jerk it. Or you'll snag one like I did today; twice. Cool

I also learned that white perch won't take an unbaited jig at slack tide. They stop reacting to movement, but will still take bait like nightcrawlers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one perch I caught was snagged as well. So was my carp. I think when they're in huge numbers like that it's pretty hard to not snag them.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: