CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: First Tourney Tips Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weekend angler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: First Tourney Tips Reply with quote

Entering my first bass tournament this weekend and was just asking for any advice that may be helpful. I know not to bring too much, give gas money I guess anywhere from $20-$30, is that the average range? I want to make a nice impression off the water as well as on the water. Very Happy

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I' m a little nervous.

-Frank

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first tournament is always the most exciting one. I remember the first one I fished 17 years ago... (omg that makes me feel freakin old....17 years ago omg) Anyway, here's some simple tips for having an enjoyable and memorable day.

1) As you said, dont bring too much. I have a good buddy who still brings like 20 rods and an 80lb tackle box on board. It really takes up a ton of space not so much for me but for him. I like the 3 baitcaster, 2 spinning rod deal. That should cover all your needs for a day. Bring a little bit of everything when it comes to tackle. Have enough hooks, weights and other terminal tackle for yourself. Most guys will share some baits with ya but nobody likes a mooch. So just have enough stufff for yourself but not too much.

2) Gas. This can be tough. The amount you give him depends on a few things. Where the tournament is. What kind of boat and truck he has and how far the travel on the water and road is. $20-$30 for a guy with a smaller boat and truck is cool if the travel isnt very far.But for someone with a bigger boat and truck, $20 in my boat or truck doesnt get me very far. A day on the river can coat me around $150 before the day is done... (considering oil and gas is CRAZY right now) I figure this summer to fill just my boat will cost about $220-$250 Now, if Im fishing the River I can burn an entire tank easy and a $35 gallon on oil. Now your talkin a little bit more $$.

Safe bet is to bring around $60 with you. Ask the boater how much they would like for gas and go from there. A great way to get the coast down for yourself is to bring your boater a coffee and some snacks for the day. Bring some soda, ice, maybe a a couple sandwiches and you'll get a break. I love when my nonboater brings stuff like that. I usually dont ask for gas $$ but when they ask how much I'd like I say, "Whatever you would like to offer.."

Just remember to offer it before he has to ask. I never ask for it and most of the time I wont take it. If you dont offer I wont ask. BUT I wont forget and I most likely wont ask you back. again. At least offer.....

3) Be a good partner. The easy stuff... Dont cast in front of him. Make sure youre not leaving rods and garbage all over the place. Be ready to sit down when it's time to move, be ready to help land a fish with the net or something..ect. Just be respectful of his ship. Keep your shoes clean and off the gel coat. And make sure you dont hit his motor with a cast or get a hook stuck in his seats... Those things kill me.. Id rather have someone hook me in the head....

It's pretty easy and most of it is common sense... I personally have never had a partner I didnt like. If you just remember the basics, you'll have a great day and maybe make a new friend!

Hope this helps!

- Tralli

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank

The biggest adjustment that I had to make when fishing from the back of a boat instead of my kayak or the shore was fishing faster. Big boat guys cover a lot more water a lot more quickly than paddlers. I can spend 20 minutes fishing one laydown from my kayak. In a bass boat, you'll get two or three casts at it.

You'll need to be able to make long casts; bring your furthest casting setup. Remember, heavily weighted weedless plastics can get down to the bottom and back up quickly. A heavily weighted Texas rigged worm or a decent sized football jig would be great to drag over a sandy or rocky bottom. You can also cover a lot of water very quickly with jerk baits and crank baits. Heck, I'd also give a spinnerbait or a small swimbait a few casts. A slowly and steadily retrieved four inch soft plastic swimbait worked well for me the other day.

Oh, and don't bang the motor with your rod or lures. Boaters HATE that. Mad

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fellas,

The advice you both gave is very helpful. Especially the Gas $ question. Smile

I/m probably going to bring 2-baitasters and 1- Spinning rod,
As for tackle I will plan that all out each night, I know I will be taking out and placing in many times. Very Happy
I also like the sandwich advice I'll be sure to do that as well.

Well thanks for the help and dont be surprised if I have more questions,but I'm sure I'll be fine.

-Frank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing most of the lakes in ct 25 bucks is the standard for gas unless your boater is coming from a long way or your running the whole river all day ,but if its a CT lake the boater will have a hard time burning 50 bucks in gas on the boat. If its a fifty dollor tournie most of the times the non boater pays that and thats enough unless like i said its a long why from the boaters home. If thats the case try and workout something where you can meet him to drive up together and split that gas also. 5 rods is the most you should bring and if its a team format..Make sure you don't bring 3 rods knowing your goona need 5. Keep your gear down to 1 med size bag that can hold about 6 boxes. keep all your stuff neat and out of the way. Snacks and drinks are always a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and always bring a bananna...jk
Justin Tralli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg not a banana! THATS REAL!!! Shocked Laughing

CT RIVER
Every Tuesday Night @ 5 p.m.
EAST HARTFORD LAUNCH
$10 Per Person
Winner Take All!
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana....!

Once, I took a banana on a chartered fishing trip. I almost got thrown over..

That's the truth!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my biggest helps fishing as a non-boater is....asks the boater his plan of attack is a couple days before the tournament. Not what he is gonna use just how he plans to fish...deep water,shallow water, shorelines, structure and so forth. That way you already know what you should have tied on. Will make you look more organized and knoledgable. Should help the boater know you are there to fish and not just along for the ride.

I have always done $25. My boaters have pretty much always said its the act of giving and offering more than what you give. 25 is fair because they are also there to fish the tourney. If you werent on their boat they would still be fishing either way. I have always brought 5-7 rods.

And tell them your not good with a net if you are not good with a net. If you cause them to loose a fish because of your netting job....you can pretty much kiss your day goodbye...lol
Im saying this because I am pretty good with a net(not cocky just have had multiple boaters tell me I am and thank me...lol) but have fished with people that arnt...theres nothing more frustrating than someone that cant net fish trying to net your fish. They will thankyou.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't open the live well all the way if you have a well with fish in it. Some people will freakb out on that one as I have been with plenty of boaters who have lost fish because of a fully opened live well hatch. Never did but herd horror stories.

Ask them if they want help landing a fish, some people will freakout if you try to net their fish and they don't want you to.

Becare full of their motor, respectful of there boat and rules and don't smoke on their rig, accidents always happen and the boat owner shouldn't have replace his carpet or seat because some bone head burned a hole in them.

Wash your feet before you get in the boat, sand/mud can really piss a boat owner off, I did that one by mistake. I was quickly informed to wash my feet.

get there early and offer the boater help, don't stand there doing nothing.

Justin
weekend angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow so many things to remember, lol. Thanks for al the help Fellas.

BTW- What's with the Banana? Very Happy

-Frank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The banana superstition, when you bring bananas on your partners boat,,, It means good luck, always offer your boater a banana before the first cast, a real non boater will supply bananas, if you feel like offering luck to all the anglers,,, hand them out to everybody,, you will make friends for a long time,, Laughing DUDE,,, Im KIDDING,,, DO NOT OFFER BANANAS TO ANYBODY BEFORE A TOURNY,,, ITS VERY BAD LUCK,,, YOU MIGHT EVEN TAKE A FEW TO THE MOUTH,, Bananas are bad,,, I used to leave them on my buddies boat before a tourny,,, he wouldnt talk to me for a week, As for tournys,,depending on the club, you should offer fuel, especially now,, talk to your boater to see what he will be doing,,Like Toptech said, you can condense,,Watch what you do on the boat, HOOKS in seats are bad,,pack a small lunch and drinks, you should have a compartment behind you where you can store some stuff, You are new to this so, dont get all worried, after a couple tournys you will know what to do, GOOD LUCK,,,,JIM

Last edited by flippy on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
weekend angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL,

Well thanks for the heads up, Bananas are one of my favorite snacks, lol.

I will be sure to keep that at the top of my list.

-Frank

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank

I read somewhere, maybe on this site, that the banana thing came from the days of slave ships that would take slaves to the new world and return with bananas. If you were to find yourself on a banana boat, you could be sure that your luck had taken a turn for the worse.

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: