CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Kick Butt, Yeahhh!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Kick Butt, Yeahhh!!! Reply with quote

My first kayak. Just bought one yesterday. Nice Pelican, fishing yak. wooot. First one ever, im excited.

Will be out on Silver Lake This Saturday late afternoon/night

and looking for something different for Sunday. i live out in prospect. so anyone with any good ideas let them fly. not to familiar with all the waters out that way. anything new will be good for me, and scenic if possible. in case fishing doesn't work out, i can at least enjoy the view. Smile
DickVanPike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats man yaks are fun...
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More crazy 20+mph winds so I hope you've got an anchor. Haven't been to many places in your area because they're spaced far, not that great, or privately/town owned. Scoville Reservoir is a huge exception & definitely meets your requirements...scenic, not far from Prospect and the "something different" is the bowfin. I might go look for them Sunday if my arms aren't sore from lifting smallies into the boat all day tomorrow.

Actually, forget all that...please go somewhere crappier if the wind forecast doesn't improve for Sunday...Scoville isn't big but there's lots to see & you'll enjoy exploring it a billion times more if you aren't removing branches from your eyes all day/dodging the weekend trout people (if you can avoid going there after I just hyped it up for you.) Some other scenic places: Breakneck, Hopeville, Millers, Wintergreen, Burr...all those state parks are decent but you're expected to stop fishing at sunset and leave, which is not always possible...Winchester (bring a good book) and Black Pond - all of these are largely non-residential and you won't have to deal with crazy fast boats at any of them. Not saying they all have spectacular fishing but I don't think any of them will disappoint you if you want scenic.

Go see if you can survive the Batterson wind vortex on Sunday instead. Congrats on the yak.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bantam River is a very scenic paddle. No big boats there, for sure; just kayaks and canoes. From the canoe launch on Whites Wood Road, I prefer headng downstream toward Bantam Lake, instead of upstream toward Little Pond. Plus, it's full of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bullheads, chain pickerels, northern pike and assorted sunnies. Mammalwise, there are muskrats, beavers, minks and deer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knw a small run you can do.. like 10 mins from prospect. quinipiac river can start on rt 322 in southington and go all the down to meriden hanover pond. only you have to get out one spot to go over this dam/cement thingy. trout.bass.perch.and carp... decent lil venture... close but from rt 322 to cheshire rd bridge is catch and release only. below that is all game....
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: nice thanks everyone Reply with quote

Yah, I guess i have explored more than i thought,

Black pond, Know all about it, Millers pond, id o more swimming than fishing. quinipiac, i fish every day after work, its on my way home from work.

sleeping giant. SUCKS>

Wintergreen< not my favorite place, but fishable.

Turtlekiss has a couple there that i havent fished yet. may give one a try..... I used to live in north haven. So meriden cheshire northford, Branford east haven, out to middletown portland. Im very familiar with. Its more the West side of the state i havent touched much of.

Only one out west i been to recently was Kent Last summer. thats only out west CT ive fished. other than that farthest ive gone was naugituck river.

time to explore. i got my new GPS as well. Im Outa Here. 2 hours to go. work done. Fish Time..
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Bantam River is a very scenic paddle. No big boats there, for sure; just kayaks and canoes. From the canoe launch on Whites Wood Road, I prefer headng downstream toward Bantam Lake, instead of upstream toward Little Pond. Plus, it's full of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, bullheads, chain pickerels, northern pike and assorted sunnies. Mammalwise, there are muskrats, beavers, minks and deer.

I like the soudn of that. bantam lake as well. Ive always wanted to catch me a pike. That be interesting i may have to try that out fairly soon.

thanks Peco. I almost forgot about bantam....

Hay talking out east. Anyone ever Fish Halls Pond? any good fish there. I here its beautifull there.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halls is beautiful and it holds big bass and pickeral
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot...Keeney Cove is beautiful in the summer too, if you're brave enough to launch after you're greeted by the locals. Bantam River is nice but Bantam Lake is mostly residential/docks/speedboats everywhere. Not what I would call scenic, but if you like that sort of thing then Congamond is even nicer. No way would I go to either one of those places in my boat during the weekend. Winchester, Keeney and Hopeville all have pike...but Scoville has bowfin!

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: nice kira Reply with quote

yah sounds good. Im not into the big boats and dodging waves. Secluded is nice.

Im down to try for some bowfin. that would be interesting. Wind this weekend was rediculous no fun for boating. Did a little shoreline fishing but that was about it. not much luck. spent the rest of weekend cleanin up the new yak. and orginizing some tackle boxes for easy carrying on the yak.

Soon as this wind dies down i be out there.
Basstrapper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: thanks everyone Reply with quote

yah these are all great places. Ive been Bing Mapping them all. getting best routes in and out. and even looking at the shorelines to pick out my lines for the trips out.

I have my list of places ready to go. now i just need time in between work.

Im liking the sound of Bowfin. and Pike. two fish i have yet to catch that are on my to catch list.

walley

and a fat salmon, Are also on the list. cant wait to start. now that i got my kayak. So much easier to hunt these guys down.

hope to catch some of you guys out there sometime. always interested in different styles of fishing, and well, i just got my kayak. so i can use all the practice in the world now. Shoreline fishing will be for the bad days. woot. im so excited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: