CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Rainbow Reservoir Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usnavybro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Rainbow Reservoir Reply with quote

I just moved into a house on the reservoir and I have a 12ft jon boat. I've been out almost every day lately from the old bridge to the new damn throwing green senkos and havent even had a bite. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw a Rapala Husky Jerk or Countdown, instead. Very Happy Seriously. We got a few decent largemouth bass today by swimming them over submerged weeds with an erratic retrieve.

Last edited by PECo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw jigs & brush hogs at the laydowns.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerk baits and superfluke for the lmb and smb... what i would throw and see what happened. than cranks all the way this time..... just what i would do
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asianfisher wrote:
jerk baits and superfluke for the lmb and smb... what i would throw and see what happened. than cranks all the way this time..... just what i would do

Have you been to Rainbow? There's sooooo many downed trees there. Anything with trebles will get snagged on branches repeatedly. Not saying they won't catch fish...just that it's a headache to retrieve your lures after every other cast.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya gotta learn to adopt to terrain like that... read the water, know your baits...
usnavybro

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I got my first bites the other day on a brush hog. Just bites though...
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt, try a wacky rigged five inch Senko, fished really, really slowly. Let it fall to the bottom and wait five seconds for a bass to pick it up. If your line doesn't move, twitch it up off the bottom and wait three more seconds. Repeat.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo - Thats my all time favorite way to catch bass! I learned how to fish wacky rigs in FL and always had a rod rigged for it. Have you ever tried using "o" rings around the senko? It helps you get more use out of each bait. We know that senkos are costly.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, BassRican, Fishface (aka Tim) got DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) and me started using o-rings last year. I just need Derek to get more for me from Grainger when he has a chance to get over there. . . . Wink You'll have to come kayaking with us on Bantam River this Summer. The bass there like a wacky Senko thrown right underneath the bank.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norhtern bass supply has a nice kit with rings and a device to slide them on..im just sayin tho..
Johnny
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably what you are talking about. I saw these at Cabela's a while back.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_95042____SearchResults
Phish

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i caught two 4 pounders (smallmouth) on a Strike King red-eye shad lipless crank in gold/black. I have also had a lot of luck with shallow square-billed cranks around the wood, as well as a Lobinos Rico popper in bone.
usnavybro

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Went out today from about 5:30 to 7 PM and caught a small LMB and 4 or 5 crappie, 1 big one, on a super fluke jr. and a decent LMB on a baby brush hog. All caught off a submerged tree. I really appreciate all you guys' advice!
Phish

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a group of submerged trees by a rockslide on the far side (opposite the ramp) that holds fish. Is that where you were? Good spot when there aren't any pleasure boaters around. I usually try to make a cast or two in there but haven't lately...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: