CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon River TMA outing 5/1/11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Salmon River TMA outing 5/1/11 Reply with quote

Spent Sunday on the water with my brother and his son at a fishing derby at a local pond and then off to the salmon river TMA. I spent the entire time on the river Euro Nymphing with a caddis nymph and soft hackle BH pheasant tail and the PT was the ticket for sure. I caught browns, rainbows and some brookies during the outing. My nephew was catching fish on a salmon colored trout magnet and mealworms.

Lots and lots of bugs around and finally saw some hendrickson's come off and when they did the fishing picked right up.

You can read the entire post on my blog: http://passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com/2011/05/great-way-to-spend-first-day-of-may.html[/img]

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
RobO

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a bug get eaten after it landed on the water the other day. Steve told me it was a Henrickson. Damn.. I am already learning already by watching what bugs are being eaten by the trout.

Great report and glad you and the family had a good time.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report!
steve b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
was that a brookie or a tiger? happy little man

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. You gotta get the kid some waders.
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RobO - since picking up fly fishing I spend more time watching bugs, turning over rocks than actually fishing some days. Way more than I did when I was kid playing in the water. Too funny.

@steveB - it was a brookie. We caught about 5 out of this one little run. All of them had shoulders and put up a good fight.

#pikerman6 - yes he needs waders. Time to stop and buy a couple of pair for the kids. It's cheaper for them to stand on the rocks, but soo much more fun once they get in the water.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Jschin26

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: First CT Fly Fishing Adventure Reply with quote

Nice fish. I fished the Salmon River today. I just moved up from MD, and was pleased theres such a nice fishery and protected state land close to where I'm living. I landed a nice brookie and caught my first parr (they're fiesty little buggers). They were caught on black body EH caddis and tan body. Didn't see any signs of a hatch, but action did pickup after a quick rain shower.

@ Passinthru What are some other good fly fishing streams/rivers in eastern CT? I'm living in Groton right now. I'm aware of the Housy and Farmington, but I'm looking for a place within hours distance I can drive to after work and fish a couple hours.

@ Pssinthru Also you got any recommedations on waht to use on the Salmon, prior to using dry flys, I was using a tandem rig much like the one you described on your blog, but had no luck...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: