CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Good time on Bigelow and Mashapaug May 6,7,8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooklynite

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Good time on Bigelow and Mashapaug May 6,7,8 Reply with quote

Thanks to the advice of some members, and help from JT's Fly Shop, I had a blast last weekend fishing Bigelow Hollow Pond and Mashapaug!

On Friday, fishing in the cove at Bigelow I fished the bottom with pbait and caught about 20 rainbow trout of varying size...I assumed these were the mainly new "stockies" but I did get a few adult-size trout btw 12-15". I kept my limit of these and grilled 'em up at the B&B I was staying at for my wife and friends.

On Saturday, I tried Mashapaug Cove, but the NE wind blew everything back at me so I moved to the point on Rock Island. Got a couple more bows and a perch, then watched two browns foraging on the flat and sight-fished them. Got one chasing my superworm but he spit it. I got a backlash and picked up my secondary rod and tossed a c-rigged crawler which the brown hit hard! He tailwalked a bit and I got him in. Nice size at 20" (c&r). Then the rain came and drove me away.

On Sunday, back to Bigelow & Mashapaug for a few more 'bows and a tiny largemouth.

On a whim I hit Morey Pond but it was pretty dead, watched one guy in a yak pull in a 2lb LM from a fallen tree but they didn't get anything else...

All in all, I had a killer 3 days of fishing in NE CT and can't wait to go back. My friend has a place near Candlewood and I think I'll have to invite myself over...

Thanks again for welcoming a NYer in on some local action! Smile

I blogged about it at www dot deadbait dot wordpress dot com if you're interested.

I can't figure out how to post pics, if someone tells me i will post up!
[/img]

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been skunked each time i've been there this year, maybe I should try bottom fishing with powerbait because my lures aren't very helpful...or resort back to nightcrawlers and bobbers...

But, I love that area so it's very relaxing to be up there.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I'll head up to Lake Champlain this weekend. I hope that NY/VT are as nice to me as CT was to you.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a good time. It is a very nice place to fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: