CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fly Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: First Timer : Fly Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: First Timer : Fly Fishing Reply with quote

On opening day this year I went to Cabela's for their buffet breakfast. While I was there, they were raffling off a Cabela's Custom Glass Rod.

Well to make a long story short, I ended up winning the rod. Problem was I had never fly fished before. I had no knowledge, no gear, and somewhat no interest in learning to fly fish.

So I made a post on CTFISHTALK about opening day and I mentioned in it about my winning a fly rod etc. Well Steve B from this site responded and offered to meet me out and teach me a little about fly fishing.

So this past Saturday we decided to meet up. Steve offered to let me use his fly reel,(TFO) I believe, so that I didn't have tobuy one. I thought this was great, because I didn't want to spend the money on a fly reel and then decide I didn't want to learn how to fly fish. Steve hooked me up by letting me use his backing, floating line, and a leader, strike indicator, and flies.

Steve and I met up with his buddy Brendan at the stream. Both Steve and Brendan looked like they had enough gear and knowledge to open their own store (lol).

I explained to Steve well in advance that I had no knowledge of fly fishing. He started by teaching me the gear and then how to cast. He was an excellent teacher by being very patient, not even caring when I lost one of his strike indicator and flies.

I was so centered on trying to learn how to cast properly, that I missed to or three quick strikes that Steve saw. Finally after I was starting to get comfortable enough with my cast, I started to focus on the drift.

Steve said my drifts were pretty good for a beginner and just as I got a little confidence, I caught my first fish, a whopping 6 or 7 inch dace. Hey at least I caught something... Very Happy

Steve and I worked the stream mving from spot to spoyt and soon met up with Brendan. We found a nice log structure and began to fish it. Steve caught a beautiful rainbow, and soon after I had hooked a rainbow. The best part about it was the excitement that was coming from both Steve and Brendan for me. They were proud of me. A guy that neither one of them knew, and had just met 2 hours earlier. It was a great moment for me. One that I am sure I will remember for the rest of my life.

Well Steve caught one or two more trout (one being a beautiful rainbow with white tips). Then it was time to go.. Steve gave me a couple of strike indicators, a handful of flies, some tippets and most of all the desire to learn more and fly fish again.

So Steve if you are reading this, I truly appreciate everything Razz . I would be honored if we could get out there and fish again. I know I slow you down, but with your guidance, I am sure I will be a decent fly fisherman in no time.

Last edited by RobO on Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 am; edited 3 times in total
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Rob. Sounds like fun! You gotta love when guys go out of their way to help others learn something new like this. It only helps the sport.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!!!!!!!!!
Passinthru Outdoors

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post and congrats on your first fish on the fly. I'm sure you are now HOOKED so welcome to the brotherhood.

Steve and Brendan are both great guys and have helped me out tremendously with my fly fishing as well. I say it all the time, those guys from JT's Fly shop are just great people that enjoy getting others into the sport.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
steve b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
it was my pleasure. I get a big kick out of teaching others to fly fish. i think that is why i like guiding so much. Rob your a quick learner and will be a good fly fishermen in no time. I will keep in touch and we will fish again. Jim WE HAVE to get out again soon. This weekend is out I have a guide trip friday andhave to work the shop saturday morning (JT and boys will be in Vernon for the derby) then I have a honey do list to finish and if I want to stay married I will be around sunday. Hey just wanted to let you knwo I took the girls to the Natchaug on sunday for a quick outing 8 trout in about 90 minutes thingamabober and nymph on spinning rod. made couple of old guys down stream real unhappy that 3 youg ladies were kickin there a@# made dad porud as all he((.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - I love to see those girls catching. That must of been all smiles and laughs - well except for the other anglers. I told Launa I would help at the Derby if they need me. If not I'm turkey hunting and then I will swing by the shop.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
icetilt

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great that you got out there with Steve. I think it was 8 years ago that he did the same thing for me. I had been flyfishing for a while mainly lakes and ponds in RI and I wanted to learn to tye flies and fish the rivers and the streams. Steve replied to one of my post on another website, from there he taught me how to fish the streams and rivers, how to tye flies. Thanks to him I have been able to teach a ton of people how to tie flies and how to identify all those insects out there that the trout love to eat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: