CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Rainbow Reservoir 05/10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Rainbow Reservoir 05/10 Reply with quote

Hey, usnavybro! Phish (aka Jed) and I fished Rainbow Reservoir from 5:45 am to 1:45 pm, today. It was beautifully sunny and warm, but the east wind was ferocious on the main body of the reservoir. The water was crystal clear in most of the reservoir and the water temperature ranged from 55 to 56 degrees. There was little to no green veg on the bottom. Anywhere. We threw everything, but got very little. Jed did catch a smallie, but to call it small would be an overstatement. It was tiny:

Why it thought it could eat a crankbait that was the same size as itself is beyond me. Jed also got a rock bass with his popper. I caught a yellow perch with a floating Rapala stickbait and a rock bass with a Gitzit soft plastic minnow.

I think that it's still too cold for bass, although we spotted several empty beds in four to six feet of water in the shallows of the western third of the reservoir. The bite should pick up as the water warms. Don't give up on it, yet!

Last edited by PECo on Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dtenney

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Rainbow resevoir water level Reply with quote

Is the water level back to normal after being lowered last fall?
dtenney

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Rainbow resevoir water level Reply with quote

Is the water level back to normal after being lowered last fall?
PECo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what "normal" is in Rainbow Reservoir, but the water level was higher than I've ever seen it and Jed thought that it rose a little while we were there. There appeared to be very little current until we got into the western third of the reservoir.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let that smallie fool you. that thing was mean. Almost ripped the rod out of my arms. Embarassed

The water level rose about a foot while we were there. They weren't drawing any water. Normally that's when it's time to look for the largies in the submerged timber, but they nowhere to be found. I'm amazed we didn't even spook a fish worth catching today. When you can't even get a dink to bite a 4 inch shakey head on 6 pound flouro, it's just a tough day. We dove cranks deep, crashed wood shallow, slowed down considerably. Maybe we should have gone left from the ramp today, but the wind sucked. I didn't really care, though. It was a good day with good company. Thanks for joining me, Phil. Always good to have an audience when you whack an unruly smallmouth bass that weighs less than the lure!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jed! Here's my monster largemouth bass from Beseck Lake in February:

Now, where's that Personal Worst thread. . . .

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil!

Question

SeaDog1 Razz
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Stephen. The word "bait" actually did pop into my head when Jed pulled up the smallie.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil!

Shhhhhhhuuuuuuuss ! Don't let Kira know you even thought about using her precious baby LMB as Bait Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing

Besides that would be illegal Exclamation

You'll have to use that picture as your avatar for next ice fishing season Razz Laughing

SeaDog1 Rolling Eyes Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: