CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Smallmouth Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mep21

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Smallmouth Fishing Reply with quote

Hey There Everyone,

Looking for information on smallmouth fishing in the Hartford area. I am willing to drive up to an hour or so. Where are the best lakes/rivers for smallmouth in CT? I'm not from the area so I could really use the help! Also, I'm thinking of heading out on Saturday morning in the kayak to try and find some if anyone wants to join. Really can't beat the fight with a smallmouth!

Thanks in advance for the help.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Later in the year, I'd try the Connecticut River in the Windsor Locks area. During the Summer, really good sized smallies hide next to the piers of the Route 140 bridge (i.e., the Bridge Street bridge) and the Dexter Coffin Bridge (i.e., the Interstate 91 bridge). The current is swift there, so it's a really tough paddle, but it's worth the effort.

Phil

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually coventry and crystal(in ellington) lakes both have some big smallies.I have personally seen 6 plus pound smallies caught in both lakes....
Johnny
atkins

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive caught em in Mansfield hollow, and the farmington river at satans kingdom
chud059

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a nice small mouth last summer on the WL side of Dexter Coffin bridge... right near where the canal meets the river...near first bridge piling. It was on a spoon. I sometimes stop on the EW side of 91 on the way home from work and cast out to those pilings... water still a bit high though.
Phish

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my best smallie day ever in the Housatonic out of Kent. check my posts and I think I described it pretty well...

I've also caught two 4 pounders in Rainbow reservoir.
mep21

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I hit up Rainbow yesterday from about 10-4. Managed to get one smallie about 13 inches or so on a brush hog. I'm sure I'll give it another try or two before the summer is over.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"another try or two before the summer is over" ????
Summer hasn't even started yet and i hope you get to fish a heck of a lot more than that bro. Make the time.
mep21

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O trust me I'll be getting out much more than that! I was referring to getting to Rainbow a couple more times in search of smallmouth. I also will be leaving CT come the end of summer so my season up here won't really extend into the fall.
brennan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that Candlewood is the mother of all SM lakes in CT....Maybe the tri state area for that matter. Once you fish the big water, there is no going back.
hoppy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlewood would have to be your best bet however there are alot of lakes that offer somne good smallie action. colebrook, McDonough, Highland are all good smally lakes. If you want to see a pretty lake and have a shot at a donkey smally hit colebrook for the day. alot of water to hit and dont get discouraged if you only get a few rats the first few times there. I promise you there are big smallies in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: