CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: new rod changeover
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT_BASSman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: new rod changeover Reply with quote

Soon plan on changing all my bass rods over and have narrowed it down to 3 choices and not sure which to choose because their all pretty much comparable in reviews either the abu garcia veritas, wright & mcgill skeete reese rods, or the new line of boyd duckett rods? Any suggestions from your own experience will be appreciated.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Regarding Wright & McGill Skeet Reese rods Reply with quote

Last September, I bought a couple of the Wright & McGill Skeet Reese Tessera spinning rods. I absolutely love their design, but the build quality was disappointing. They look terrific, but are fragile. The first time that I used one while fishing from a kayak on Scoville Reservoir, the rod snapped in two between the second and third guides down from the tip when I reached up to pull a long strand of grass off of my lure. I couldn't believe it. I had read some online reviews that said the rods were brittle and one of the sales guys in the fishing department at Cabela's told me that some had been returned broken, so I didn't give them a second chance and returned them for a pair of St. Croix Mojo Bass spinning rods with split grip handles. I have no regrets about the change. I also like the pair of Shimano Clarus spinning rods that I have. The action is very similar to the St. Croix rods, but they have traditional handles, instead of split grip handles. I prefer the split grip handles. However, one of my Shimanos is a two piece rod, which is sometimes convenient to have.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've heard the reese spinning rods break quite often, not sure of the casting rods which is what I'm doing a rod changeover in. For all my spinning rod applications (drop shot, shaky, flick shake, tube, etc.) I am currently using falcon cara T7's and absolutely love them.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CT_BASSman!

A small tackle company that I've dealt with over the years is going out of buisness.
Great deals on all rods other gear remaing in stock.
This is quality gear !

Go to www.acadiasports.com

SeaDog1
dave_376

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that there are a lot of good rods out there and the 3 you mentioned are quality companies. If i had to choose between them i would get the Duckett or the Skeet Reese....over the years I have owned tons of rods and have broken my fair share. I firmly believe that most rods that break are damaged before you ever fished them. Many of them are poorly packed for shipping and other customers mishandle and abuse them in the store.
Personally I have my eye on a new Skeet Reese 7'11 cranking rod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: