CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 05/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 05/21 Reply with quote

I pedaled Batterson Park Pond in The Other Woman (i.e., my Hobie Pro Angler) from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm today. My fish finder's in hull transducer showed that the surface water temperature was about 70 degrees. I met Fishface (aka Tim) out on the west shore. While I was there, he landed a skinny 16 inch largemouth bass that looked like it probably weighed about 1-3/4 pounds on a wacky rigged five inch black Senko thrown at the shore:

We met a local kayaker, Sal, who doesn't fish Batterson much even though he lives nearby. Hey, Sal! We also saw a kayaker who was sunbathing nude on the west shore of the pond. Tim said that the guy had a blue jig on his rod. Unlike Tim, I didn't check out his rod. Wink No, he wasn't really nekked. But he was laying in the grass behind the bushes on the shore, reading, I think. I putzed around more than I fished and caught a fatty rock bass on a crappie rig with a two inch chartreuse swirly tail grub on a 1/16 ounce round jig head. I also got a good hit on a wacky rigged five inch pumpkin/red flake Senko thrown at the shore, but the fish somehow managed to avoid the hook. I think that it was a small largemouth bass. I had to head home to cook a Copper River sockeye salmon filet that I picked up at Whole Foods today for dinner, so I headed off the water when it started to rain. It was a nice day to be out on the water for a little while.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil!

70 degree surface temp ???????????

IMPOSSIBLE ! per the laws of physics -> We haven't had Wx temps. over 70 yet ! Shocked

Where you near some kind of power plant water outlet ????? Rolling Eyes

Think your FF must not be calibrated correctly !

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you might be right, but the ambient air temperature isn't the only factor that determines the surface water temperature at Batterson. The water felt pretty warm to the touch. It was even warmer where Derek, Daryl and I went fishing, today.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Yeah? Then what else could get the water that warm at this time of year ?

Outflow of spring water is normally 53-54 degrees.

And I definitely know there's no such thing as a freshwater Gulf Stream ! Laughing Laughing

I do think it is your FF.

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Stephen, I'm not saying that you're wrong (okay, I think that you're probably right), but I'd bet that the surface water temperature at Batterson is heavily influenced by urban surface water runoff. Asphalt gets pretty hot during the day.

I'll start carrying my instant read thermometer.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother in law and I hit Batterson yesterday between storms, caught a short, fat 2lb LMB and accidentally pulled in a 15" walleye. When I went to rinse my hands in the water I instantly thought of reading this the other day, because it felt VERY warm... Didn't bring my fish finder but the air temp was about 65 and the water felt much warmer. We were fishing on the New Britain side, so the asphalt runoff thing makes sense

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did you catch the walleye on and what time of day was it?
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Batterson Wind Vortex works in mysterious ways.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
fjs21187

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walleye was early afternoon but it was a snag behind his gill... hook came out easy and it was fine. It was with a smokey with blue and purple flakes senko wacky rigged, same as the bass. Was not a fun day weather wise, tomorrow should be better hopefully

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally uploaded picture of that little walleye

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 3:00 am! I hope that you went fishing this morning!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil
You keep mentioning using circle hooks wacky. I take it your not setting the hook and letting the bend at the tip catch the lip?
Matt
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use the Moffitt fishing rig (developed for trout fishing) with circle hook when fly fishing.

Bare circle hook at end of line then bead (pegged Salmon egg imitation) 1/2 to 1 inch above that.
Fish takes in hook and egg and when you go to set the hook it always hooks them in the corner of the mouth.
I have lots of success with this rig and hardly ever miss a fish!

Should work the same with a Senko or other artificial baits.

SeaDog1
Daryl

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atkins wrote:
Hey Phil
You keep mentioning using circle hooks wacky. I take it your not setting the hook and letting the bend at the tip catch the lip?
Matt

Phil, you'll have to second me on this one, if you agree. I am a big fan of the circle hooks for bass and trout. When fishing wacky senkos or even meal worms for trout on a light action rod. This allows you to "reel-set" the hook by just reeling in the line and keeping the tip high.

My hook-up ratio is VASTLY improved with circle hooks as opposed to wide gap hooks, etc. when fishing a wacky senko.

I have noticed the same for trout, I still get most of them when I miss the first seconds of a hit because just lifting my rod tip and giving a quick reel seems to set the hook just fine.

Hope this helps. I have caught some big (3-4lbs) trout on tiny #10 gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. I haven't had a bass yet that wouldn't get hooked on a #4 circle hook yet.

Also Phil, did you know that eagle claw is making "wacky worm" circle hooks now? Saw them at Dick-heads and grabbed a few packs to try. They are a little cheaper than the Gamakatsus and look promising!

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Herbert Hoover
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atkins

Yeah, what Daryl said. I use braid on my wacky rig. I typically let the lure fall vertically on a slack line. The line floats on the water and shakes when a fish picks up the lure. Then I just reel set the hook. That's why I typically miss hooksets with Texas rigged worms; I always forget to set the hook the first time. Or the second time. Or the third time. Embarassed

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: